What road frame up to £1500?

fleshtuxedo
fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
...should I get that ticks these boxes:

1. Max £1500
2. Racy geometry, not a pudding for 'all day sportive comfort' I hate long head tubes.
3. Suitable for mountainous racing (tri bike legs) - Alps, Dales etc.
4. Carbon, I like it better than alu steel or ti thanks
5. Something a bit glam/exclusive would be nice - not a Trek, Spec, Giant or Scott
6. Not black! I've had too many black bikes.
7. I'd prefer new, but would go 'nearly new' if necessary

Ta

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    A Colnago. Defo.

Should be able to pick up a CX1 or C50 well within that budget.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    Viner ???? don't they do MTM carbon ? A Ridley? De Rosa ? Look or a Time?
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • canyon
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    £1350 will get you a Viner Magnifica frame and fork. Perhaps not racy enough for you (position certainly could be set up that way, but it is more of a sportive type bike), but I'd still suggest giving it a try. And nothIng wrong with having a bit of comfort, surely? Ticks all your other boxes. New model (Gladium) replacing it for 2011, so might be some deals around...
    Made to measure available on all the higher-end Viner models, not this one.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • racingt
    racingt Posts: 108
    Test ride one definitely before you buy.
    I had convinced myself I needed a titanium bike, but I went to Enigma and test rode the steel Extensor back to back with a ttianium bike and a cheaper steel one.
    No question for me, stepped off the bike with a big grin, and ordered one. Pick it up in a week...
    So, for me writing off steel without trying the latest Columbus XCR or 953 is a mistake - keep your options open and test ride as many as you can. Have fun!!
  • racingt
    racingt Posts: 108
    Test ride one definitely before you buy.
    I had convinced myself I needed a titanium bike, but I went to Enigma and test rode the steel Extensor back to back with a ttianium bike and a cheaper steel one.
    No question for me, stepped off the bike with a big grin, and ordered one. Pick it up in a week...
    So, for me writing off steel without trying the latest Columbus XCR or 953 is a mistake - keep your options open and test ride as many as you can. Have fun!!
  • Either a Canyon, a Look or stretch to an SL3 (notwithstanding your dislike of mainstream, which I share).

All are proTour level frames. SL3 will perhaps have the best resale if you care about that.