Quick Reba setup question

Skerryman
Skerryman Posts: 323
edited September 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
OK so I got my shock pump today. Just need a bit of info on setting up my Reba's now. Do I need to let all the air out of the positive and negative chambers first or can I just connect the pump, check pressure and release/ add air as necessary?

Also is there any precautions I should take before doing this?

Apologies for the questions but its my first time doing this and just want to make sure I don't feck it up.

Cheers for any info.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have you read the info in the FAQs?

it tells you how to.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • OK just found it there. So if I turn the bike upside down while letting the air out of the negative chamber and then turn it right side up for letting the air out of the positive chamber I shouldn't lose loads of oil?? Just don't fancy having to take em apart to replace oil as I don't have a clue how to. If there's a sticky somewhere with these info feel free to let me know as I couldn't find it. Cheers
  • Skerryman wrote:
    OK just found it there. So if I turn the bike upside down while letting the air out of the negative chamber and then turn it right side up for letting the air out of the positive chamber I shouldn't lose loads of oil?? Just don't fancy having to take em apart to replace oil as I don't have a clue how to. If there's a sticky somewhere with these info feel free to let me know as I couldn't find it. Cheers

Good question, I read this and wondered exactly the same things as yourself. The guide is good, but lacks some essential detail.

:?:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You don't need to turn it upside down, but it can help with the neg air chamber. It is not damping oil, but lube oil. RS don't even say to do this.
  • ryan93
    ryan93 Posts: 186
    Let the air out the negative chamber first, then the positive. Then refill the air, negative chamber first. Not sure about Reba's but my Rev's say on the inside of one of the legs what pressures to put in according to rider's weight. When you unscrew the pump there might be a little bit of oil shoot out from around the pump head, don't think it's anything to worry about but I'd check with Nick, he'll definately know :)

Hope that helps, goodluck.
  • supersonic wrote:
    You don't need to turn it upside down, but it can help with the neg air chamber. It is not damping oil, but lube oil. RS don't even say to do this.

Ahhhh! Thanks for clarifying that mate.
  • don't follow the RS pressures, they're rubbish. Set +ve to give sag then -ve to taste!
  • ryan93
    I agree with ride_whenever, going by the guide I should have about 60-80psi in mine for a rider around 70kgs. But I've set mine to 150psi. Best thing to do is just set it at what you feel would be right, then go for a ride and take your shock pump with you to adjust it until it feels best.
  • Thanks for all the info ye wise old sages, much appreciated as usual. Gonna give it until the weekend and bring the pump out with me to make adjustments so. :)
  • ryan93
    wise old sages
    First time I've been called that!! Obviously I have wisdom way before age being 17 and all!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,398
    ryan93 wrote:
    I agree with ride_whenever, going by the guide I should have about 60-80psi in mine for a rider around 70kgs. But I've set mine to 150psi. Best thing to do is just set it at what you feel would be right, then go for a ride and take your shock pump with you to adjust it until it feels best.

tee hee, I ve got 110psi in mine an I'm suppose to have 160+
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ddraver wrote:
    ryan93 wrote:

tee hee, I ve got 110psi in mine an I'm suppose to have 160+

and i wonder why RS no longer list pressures but make SAG on their fork leg inners.

Pressure has nothing to do with just set the SAG and then equalise the pressure and then tune to suit.

:wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown