Cycleway etiquette

Initialised
Initialised Posts: 3,047
edited September 2010 in Commuting general
When riding on a bridleway or cycle-path is it or is it not the done thing to stick to the left when meeting and passing a cyclist in the opposite direction in the absence of other traffic?
I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.

Comments

• done thing, with exceptions.

I believe it is so your sword or lance is on the correct side to knock opposing traffic out your way.
    The Stable '04 Trek 1000 | '09 Giant Bowery '72 | '10 Ridgeback Panorma | '10 Cannondale CAAD9 105 Compact
  • My pump will have to do, cycle jousting doesn't work for me!

Are we talking written or unwritten rule?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • grayo59
    grayo59 Posts: 722
    I think the problem comes when you meet a runner. As a ped you are encouraged to face oncoming traffic on your side of the road - so you can hop out of the way I guess. So runner will stay on his or her right. Cyclist will stay on his or her left. Problem!
  • Rather than run it off the road I would always say it's good manners and courteous to go around anything slower than me / without wheels if it was in my way, regardless of if I had to go left, right, or centrally
    The Stable '04 Trek 1000 | '09 Giant Bowery '72 | '10 Ridgeback Panorma | '10 Cannondale CAAD9 105 Compact