Taylor Phinney leaves Radioshack for BMC!

donrhummy
donrhummy Posts: 2,329
edited September 2010 in Pro race
Either Lance/Johan are going to be pissed ("We gave you all that training and opportunity and this is how you repay us!") or Radioshack is in limbo and so they gave him their blessing.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/phinney-signs-for-bmc

Comments

• Didn't like what he saw on the Radioshack bus :wink:
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    donrhummy wrote:
    Either Lance/Johan are going to be pissed ("We gave you all that training and opportunity and this is how you repay us!") or Radioshack is in limbo and so they gave him their blessing.

Phinney said he chose the BMC Racing Team because it offered him so much.

"When Ochowicz first sold my family and me on the program, we were just blown away with the way he and the BMC Racing Team organisation carried themselves," Phinney said.

"They have a team with a lot of younger guys mixed with veteran riders and team leaders like Evans, Hincapie and Ballan. It seemed like the right fit for me. BMC also makes fast bikes. I'm excited to see what they can make for me on the track."

Seems to be to be simply a case of BMC suiting his aims a bit better.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    donrhummy wrote:

Seeing how Lance and Johann lifted Phinney from Vaughters Slipstream development squad, they can be as pissed as they want but have no right to complain
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Also, Bruyneel said he was supportive of whatever Phinney decided to do.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    Jim Ochowicz has known Taylor Phinney since he was a foetus, so it makes sense.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/phinney ... acing-team

Glad to see Lance is as grown up as ever.

"You're dead to me"
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Interesting (from a rider's point of view) to hear him saying that in order to prepare for the Olympics - he needs to be riding the same [brand] of bike for the next two years. So much for the idea that 'pros can ride whatever bike they are given' theory.

I guess he told Lance - it IS about the bike. 8)
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    Maybe LA has other things on his mind.

Oh no, silly me, he's a -unt.
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    "However, we had a chat with Lance, Bart Knaggs and Johan [Bruyneel] just to let them know that Jim had put in an offer and Lance had to leave half way because I think Senator Kerry was on the other line. I've tried to call, email and text and I've not really heard anything".

At least we know he did his utmost to retain him. You have to admire that.

Sarcasm aside, Lance finding a running partner for the 2012 United States presidential election is far more important.
  • Luckao wrote:
    "However, we had a chat with Lance, Bart Knaggs and Johan [Bruyneel] just to let them know that Jim had put in an offer and Lance had to leave half way because I think Senator Kerry was on the other line. I've tried to call, email and text and I've not really heard anything".

At least we know he did his utmost to retain him. You have to admire that.

Sarcasm aside, Lance finding a running partner for the 2012 United States presidential election is far more important.

surely armstrong would stand as a republican
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Pokerface wrote:
    Interesting (from a rider's point of view) to hear him saying that in order to prepare for the Olympics - he needs to be riding the same [brand] of bike for the next two years. So much for the idea that 'pros can ride whatever bike they are given' theory.

Isn't he just doing a bit of 'BMC bikes are best' sponser arse licking?

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Isn't he just doing a bit of 'BMC bikes are best' sponser ars* licking?

No - what he says makes sense. He wants to ride the SAME bike for the next two years n a row. RadioShack could only guarantee him one year so he might have to change bikes the following year.

As many riders will attest to - it can take a while to get comfortable on a new bike and when it comes to a few seconds meaning the difference between winning and losing, every little detail matters.

He said the BMC bikes are good - but that wasn't the main point.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Pokerface wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Isn't he just doing a bit of 'BMC bikes are best' sponser ars* licking?

No - what he says makes sense. He wants to ride the SAME bike for the next two years n a row. RadioShack could only guarantee him one year so he might have to change bikes the following year.

As many riders will attest to - it can take a while to get comfortable on a new bike and when it comes to a few seconds meaning the difference between winning and losing, every little detail matters.

He said the BMC bikes are good - but that wasn't the main point.

Fair enough.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • No need for that from Larry. Very poor form.
  • RichN95.
    iainf72 wrote:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/phinney-explains-decision-to-sign-with-bmc-racing-team

"You're dead to me"

Where's he said anything like that? It's not LA's job to do contract negotiations.

On the other hand: http://twitter.com/taylorphinney/status/25242136582
  • moray_gub
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/phinney-explains-decision-to-sign-with-bmc-racing-team

"You're dead to me"

Where's he said anything like that? It's not LA's job to do contract negotiations.

On the other hand: http://twitter.com/taylorphinney/status/25242136582

Just got a txt from @lancearmstrong. I haven't talked to him in a while but he was very supportive of my decision... Thx 4 everything boss!

Yea he is real dead to him right enough :lol: Posters in here never seem to learn do they ,diving in head first seems to be the way of it.
  • Lets not turn this into another "Lance is a tw#t" thread for God's sake.

Im more interested in what Ben Kings future plans are.He's an equally promising prospect in my opinion.
  • moray_gub
    Lets not turn this into another "Lance is a tw#t" thread for God's sake.

I agree but certain posters will always look for the LA angle in this kind of things and try to spin it out a certain way, its just the way they are.
  • RichN95.
    Lets not turn this into another "Lance is a tw#t" thread for God's sake.

Im more interested in what Ben Kings future plans are.He's an equally promising prospect in my opinion.

Which Ben King? I assume the US Champ. He's signed for Radioshack.
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    dave milne wrote:

It's not about the Party.
  • RichN95.
    dave milne wrote:

Not as a self-proclaimed atheist, he won't.

I think he's said, in vague terms, that he leans towards the democrats. Not much use in Texas though.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    I'm quite surprised he didn't end up back at Garmin. He would've be a great edition to whats looking set to be a wicked team lineup. Although BMC will be a great fit for him i think. Good move.
  • moray_gub
    LangerDan wrote:
    donrhummy wrote:

Seeing how Lance and Johann lifted Phinney from Vaughters Slipstream development squad, they can be as pissed as they want but have no right to complain

seems like JB wanted to keep him but wishes him all the best he does not seem to be pissed to me

http://johanbruyneel.com/blog.html

"I know there are some disappointed fans that we didn't sign Taylor Phinney. I understand your disappointment, as Taylor certainly has shown that he has a very bright future ahead of him and will be an asset to any team. I met with Taylor in the Tour de l'Avenir to talk with him one-on-one. Out of respect to Taylor and his new team, BMC, I won't reveal the details of that discussion, but I will tell you this: Taylor had a very tough decision to make, and as much as I would have liked to have continued to be part of his development, I understand and respect his decision. I certainly wish him the best of luck and hope that he will continue to succeed. Simply put, his success is good for cycling!"
  • Moomaloid wrote:
    I'm quite surprised he didn't end up back at Garmin. He would've be a great edition to whats looking set to be a wicked team lineup. Although BMC will be a great fit for him i think. Good move.

I suspect after the Cervelo takeover Garmin have too many riders on their roster to take him. I believe they are limited to between 20 and 30, and have subsequently had to drop a couple stalwarts.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Just reading the Procycling article (half way through) and Phinney jnr seems to be a bit of a handfull. A lot of expectations and an ever growing attitude.
    He's got the attitude and the results to back it up.
    The writer said at the mo he will be a cross between a Jalabert and Cancellara. Tour de France is a long way off.

All this reminds me of a similar story of a good young man who becomes all powerful and turns to the dark side...but with Phinney there's no lightsabers and Wookies.

41Cxvv-W5RL._AA280_.jpg

PS- Nice to see young Phinney bigging up the BMC workmanship; I can imagine Lance and Phinney in the meeting-
    Phinney- "Lance, I love you man but I wanna ride with BMC cos your they got better bikes than your crappy Treks."
    Lance- " Ooh you tit, didn't you read me bloody boook; It's NOT ABOUT THE BIKE!!!!!"

Ta Da!! Thankyou folks, I Thankyou, oh please stop!! :wink:

"I'll get my coat..."

-Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • donrhummy
    Phinney is sad to be leaving behind the relationships he made at Trek-Livestrong over the last two years, including his friendship with Armstrong, who Phinney revealed, had broken off all communication ever since Ochowicz made his first offer.

See? I told you guys.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    In late 2007, in an interview with Competitor Radio, Vaughters described Phinney as "the next Fabian Cancellara - maybe even better", so that fits with the above article.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    well it seems LA was just too busy to talk to Taylor at the time and has since wished him all the best and realised why he has gone to BMC. Fair play to LA for that one.

Wonder what will happen to the Shack as it is basically just the same Bruyneel team with a different sponsor I would have though they would be working on bringing another on for the year after next
  • donrhummy
    sherer wrote:
    well it seems LA was just too busy to talk to Taylor at the time and has since wished him all the best and realised why he has gone to BMC. Fair play to LA for that one.

Wonder what will happen to the Shack as it is basically just the same Bruyneel team with a different sponsor I would have though they would be working on bringing another on for the year after next

BS. During that time Lance posted a number of tweets, yet none wishing Taylor well.