Stuck BB and RS fork lowers

ryan93
ryan93 Posts: 186
edited September 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
My BB is siezed on and no matter how much I pushed down on the spanner, it didn't budge. It's a Shimano Hollowtech II BB that came with my SLX cranks. I've had it on/off loads of times before but this time it just isn't for moving, any suggestions? I sprayed it with a bit of Muc-Off bike spray to try and free it but it still isn't for budging. Any other ideas?

Second question. Is it possible to change the current lowers of my RS Revelation 426, which has a QR, to a 20mm thru-axle or do I need to buy a new set of forks altogether? I noticed that the newer RS forks have a bulge on the sides to accomodate newer bushings so those probably wouldn't work. I looked through FisherOutdoors and they sell lower legs for Revs 06-09, didn't say if they were QR or thru-bolts though and there were not pictures :( Appologies if this sounds like a daft question, just wondered since I guess the fork internals are the same, just with different lowers.

Any help/idea's would be great.

Ryan :)

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You can, but they cost a lot of money ie about 190 quid.
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Are you definitely sure you're turning it the right way?

I'm in the same boat but I gave up. Next idea is to get the LBS to remove it.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    supersonic wrote:
    You can, but they cost a lot of money ie about 190 quid.

it also depends on the year of the fork design.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ryan93
    WoooHoo! Awsome. £190 is alot, but it's cheaper than buying a whole new unit at about £500. I also saw on the fisher site that the lowers don't have decals, do all replacement lowers exclude the decals?

Any idea on how the remove the BB?
  • supersonic
    What year fork is it then? Some older ones may not be possible to change.
  • ryan93
    Liking it Chedabob, thought someone might ask this. Yeah with the bike upside down and looking onto the non-drive side I'm turning it anti-clockwise, opposite way from the arrow that says "TIGHTEN". Just started work in a LBS so I'll ask the guys in there on Wednesday.

For Nick, my forks are the 2008 model I believe. These ones;
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=13120

Thanks guys =)
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    You'll probably be better off selling the forks and buying a second hand replacement.

With regards to the BB, my lbs has a mahoosive metal pole for attaching to the end of a spanner for such 'difficult' jobs - maybe easiest to get your lbs to sort it!
  • supersonic
    Ah unlucky, 2008 and before cannot be changed.
  • ryan93
    -Sigh- I had a feeling you were going to say that. Oh well, I'll keep a look out on here and on eBay, see if anyone's selling Rev's with a thru-bolt. any idea on how much I would get for mine? The lower's are a bit scratched and could do with a service. I was thinking maybe £100-£200 if I service them? Got all the lube and oil I need, just haven't got round to it :(

Thanks for that anyway guys, much appreciated :D
  • supersonic
    How much do you weigh? Are you feeling the forks twist and flex?

You can do a basic service yourself for the price of orings and oil.
  • ryan93
    I think I weigh about 70kg's. Main reason for wanting a thru-axle is because I'm riding alot of jumps/drops now and I thought it would be best to stiffen up the front end and buy a better wheel. Current front wheel is an unbranded hub with a WTB SX24. New front wheel would have been a 20mm XT 6-bolt hub with a MAvic EN321 rim and DT swiss spoke to match my rear wheel.

For a fork service I bought 5 and 15wt SVI oil and the SRAM Redrum lube came today, 1litre bottle for £2.12 from All Terrain Cycles! Watched the videos on YouTube by SRAMTech and it didn't look too complicated. I could always try it on my lunch hour in the shop and get one of the guys to help if I screw it up.
  • supersonic
    I still don't think a maxle will make athat much difference to be honest! The old rev structure is a tough beast.
  • ryan93
    So maybe just a new QR wheel is all I need, same spec as before but with just a QR 6-bolt XT hub rather than a 20mm. I was told when the rear rim broke that SX24 rims are quite soft and the Mavic EN321 is alot stronger and so far it's been great.