omeprazole warning

freddiegrubb
freddiegrubb Posts: 448
edited September 2010 in Campaign
:oops: Not sure where to post this but here goes, if I go out on the steed in a morning I tend to bulk up on the breakfast - either cereal / porridge plus toast, marmalade etc. Now with the exercise & exertion I tend to get acid reflux ( bad heartburn) & so the tablet takes care of this. A few mornings ago going up a hill ,nothing too hard I started to go lightheaded , now there was a runner coming towards me & I tried to move out to let him past & before I knew it I was completely on the wrong side of the road & completely disorientated. Puzzled & recovered made my way home & read the small print, sure enough it was an allergic reaction. Next day same meal -same hill -same time- no tablet - no symptom Hmmmm. yesterday same meal - same time- steeper hill- pill taken - bad reaction- ended up in the dike my mate had to unclip me. The strange thing is that the thought processes never arrived at the default position of unclipping. The pill is the 20mg. dose & no more when riding, had boiled eggs this morning & okay - no light headedness. So just a thought if you pop pills!!

Comments

• Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Never had this with Op...

Had it with Tramadols, last night in fact. Did the "crab-walk" to the bog.
    Totally lightheaded, even after being awake for about 2 hours.
  • Try Lansoprazole (not sure if that's quite the right spelling). I've used it for years with no problem.
    Just a thought - I was on one a day until I gave up alcohol 3 years ago... now I'm on one every couple of weeks (if that) and I can eat whatever I like. Not preaching about the booze - and I certainly don't know your circumstances - but it's just my experience.
    I'm at that difficult age... somewhere between birth and death.
  • :oops: I only take them as & when, I know what does it & it's a little too much bread , wheat etc. . I know I;m not ceoliac ( wrong spelling) I think it's the combination with the exercise. The booze is not a factor as I hardly drink, I;ve had the camera down & no sign of any "nasties", so from now on-- bike = no pills!!!
  • Why do you eat so much before riding? I don't think it's advisable to chow down on lots of heavy cereal and carbs just before any exercise, be it swimming, running or cycling, it tends to result in you throwing up by the side of the road or as in your case heart burn, acid reflux etc.

Eat the heavy stuff the night before and before you ride, just eat a couple of slices of toast and if you have to, a piece of fruit and then take dried fruit, energy drink, energy bars etc with you to top youself up as you go. There's no point trying to take in all your energy needs for a long ride before you set off.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Some of the most frequent side effects of omeprazole (experienced by over 1% of those taking the drug) are headache, diarrhea, abdominal pain, nausea, dizziness, trouble awakening and sleep deprivation, although in clinical trials the incidence of these effects with omeprazole was mostly comparable to that found with placebo
  • :oops: I've tried to change my eating habits before a ride, a couple of days ago I had 2 boiled eggs & 1 slice of toast, no pill . First 35 mile everything was okay, then going over Woodland Fell (Broughton area, Cumbria) I well & truly " Bonked" & felt it was going to be a come & pick me up phone call , my riding mate got the biscuits into me & we made it home . I don't know if bulking up the night before will work for me as I seem to have a very fast metabolism & in the morning the tank may be low. I'll give your method a try to see how it goes . Watch this space!
  • :oops: I've tried to change my eating habits before a ride, a couple of days ago I had 2 boiled eggs & 1 slice of toast, no pill . First 35 mile everything was okay, then going over Woodland Fell (Broughton area, Cumbria) I well & truly " Bonked" & felt it was going to be a come & pick me up phone call , my riding mate got the biscuits into me & we made it home . I don't know if bulking up the night before will work for me as I seem to have a very fast metabolism & in the morning the tank may be low. I'll give your method a try to see how it goes . Watch this space!

Did you take food with you though? You're unlikely to survive an entire long ride on 1 slice toast and 2 eggs but if you take a couple of bananas or dried fruit or flapjack or energy bars or something as well as energy drink you should be fine. Also make sure you eat before you feel the need to. Don't save your food until you start to feel hungry, you need to keep topping yourself up. Once you start to feel ravenous on a ride, in my experience it's not long before you completely crash and feel so hungry that you could eat grass by the edge of the road. Seriously, skip the drugs and just learn to take energy in properly. I'm usually fine with a couple of slices of toast, a couple of bananas and a bottle of water on a ride up to 35 miles but over that then I have to take energy drink and more food.
  • :oops: I think I'm going to have to take grub with me & top up little & often, it's the first time I've come unstuck for a long time & it wasn't very pleasant. On the flats it's okay but the last few weeks my mate & I have been hitting the hills (there's loads up here, Lakes) & I think this is what's knocking the stuffing out of me. Sure will need bigger pockets in my jersey
  • :oops: I think I'm going to have to take grub with me & top up little & often, it's the first time I've come unstuck for a long time & it wasn't very pleasant. On the flats it's okay but the last few weeks my mate & I have been hitting the hills (there's loads up here, Lakes) & I think this is what's knocking the stuffing out of me. Sure will need bigger pockets in my jersey

If you don't mind stopping and you're passing through urban areas you can just take money and buy stuff along the way to save you carrying fuel. Also think about energy drinks, you can get ready made powders like SIS to mix with water that you probably carry anyway, or make your own energy drink with maltodextrin, electrolyte salts etc.

You would probably get more response to this thread if you posted it in "Training", BTW, that's where most threads about nutrition etc go.