hand numbness and loss of peripheral vision after riding!

gt si
gt si Posts: 73
edited September 2010 in Health, fitness & training
ok people, i have this problem which seems to be affecting me more and more at the moment, i have regular numbness and cramps in my hands when riding even when climbing, so its not just on rough decents, and i run a long travel hardtail with buttery smooth van 36,s, i also use ergon freeride grips, which i think may help a little, im not sure. the other problem, and im not sure if its related or not is the loss of peripheral vision, i dont get this every time i ride, but ive had it about 5 or 6 times now, and its really not very nice!! i feel a little dizzy on my feet, but the outside of my vision is all blurry and if i put my hand to the side of my eye infront of my head i cant even see it. it usually only lasts about 30 mins or so and then goes. i am going to see the doctor this week but i just wondered if anyone has any similar problems? cheers folks.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The peripheral vision thing sounds properly dangerous, could be a circulation or blood pressure issue.
    Of course, circulation could also cause the hand numbness, so if I was you I'd wait and see what the doctor says.
    But if you must head out on the bike before then, try rotating the handlebar in the stem, so that the rise is at a slightly different angle, or try bigger/smaller grips.
    I don't think adjusting your brake levers will help, since you say it happens when climbing too.
  • Neily03
    Neily03 Posts: 295
    gt si wrote:
    and im not sure if its related or not is the loss of peripheral vision, i dont get this every time i ride, but ive had it about 5 or 6 times now, and its really not very nice!! i feel a little dizzy on my feet, but the outside of my vision is all blurry and if i put my hand to the side of my eye infront of my head i cant even see it. it usually only lasts about 30 mins or so and then goes. i am going to see the doctor this week but i just wondered if anyone has any similar problems? cheers folks.

Migraine, I get them sometimes after riding, usually because I haven't drank enough.
  • Neily03 wrote:
    gt si wrote:
    and im not sure if its related or not is the loss of peripheral vision, i dont get this every time i ride, but ive had it about 5 or 6 times now, and its really not very nice!! i feel a little dizzy on my feet, but the outside of my vision is all blurry and if i put my hand to the side of my eye infront of my head i cant even see it. it usually only lasts about 30 mins or so and then goes. i am going to see the doctor this week but i just wondered if anyone has any similar problems? cheers folks.

Migraine, I get them sometimes after riding, usually because I haven't drank enough.

Same.... I now drink as much as possible whenever I ride!
  • Anonymous
    Doesn't a migraine come with crippling head pain as well though?
  • Doesn't a migraine come with crippling head pain as well though?

Not always.

If I can get rehydrated quick enough and or take migraine tablets then I dont get the pain... If I dont get either hydrated and or take tablets, the pain comes about a hour later along with sickness and light sensitivity.

HTH
  • Anonymous
    Oh! I did not know that.
  • This is a type of Vertigo. What happens in the inner ear is that the balance mechanism can be disrupted by shaking that you get on trail riding. It is very alarming and not a problem at all. Drinking the night before affects the prevalence of Vertigo.

This is not uncommon - don't take medication and there are some manoevres you can liook up on the web to 'reset' your balance.

Basically what is happening is that there are very fine hairs in your inner ear weighted by a bit of calcium - there is a residual amount of calcium crystals in the chamber which get chucked around and end up in the wrong place such as the canal and moving your head around will put them back.
  • Or... in other words, clean your ears out ;)
  • gt si
    gt si Posts: 73
    i doget migraines too, but not very often, and i believe you can get eye migraines which arnet painful, as to the issue of hydration, i always drink loads, so i dont think that is an issue, tghanks for all your replies people, all feedback is very much appreciated.
  • As nice as it is , I wouldn't get medical advice on a forum. Go see your doctor. Hope its nothing much.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl