Medical advice, anyone...?

Chaz.Harding
Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
edited September 2010 in The Crudcatcher
So, I was dumb enough to run a loooong way at the weekend.

As such, walking is now almost excruciatingly painful. My Achilles tendons on both legs are swollen and very sore. And the inside of my left knee hurts like a biatch if I bend it... :(

I'm not taking any drugs currently. Any advice?
Boo-yah mofo
Sick to the power of rad
Fix it 'till it's broke

Comments

• Consult a doctor.
    Any advice given here could lead to erectile dysfunction, paralysis, heart problems and even suicide.
  • Tartanyak
    Tartanyak Posts: 1,538
    Take ibuprofen and a pill of MTFU.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    MTFU and get wasted
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    sounds like aids
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Tartanyak wrote:
    Take ibuprofen....

...and rest it. Next time try to run a normal distance before running a stupid distance. Were you trying to impress a girl?
  • Tartanyak
    Tartanyak Posts: 1,538
    Impress, or chase through dark woods on a rainy night?
  • intensive massage + pain killers for pudding then bed rest for 24 hours + then gentle stretching and yoga
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Alex and Surfbum are both right. It's worm aids.

Also, you've got some kind of mental problem that keeps making you want to run insane distances. I prescribe kebabs, take one three times a day for 6 months and see if that helps :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bails87 wrote:
    Also, you've got some kind of mental problem that keeps making you want to run insane distances.

+ kebabs
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Doesn't matter how much pain you're in, there's a more important matter.
    Did you catch your victim?
    If not, then you didn't run far or fast enough, and you're now pretty much screwed.
  • sorry, seem like you have to cut them off.
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • Two rocks and bang uhm together on ya danglies will solve it all.
  • Ibuprofen is made of Aids
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    RTW-Chaz wrote:
    I was once dumb enough to run 15 cross-country miles carrying a six foot fence post, for charidee. It was three weeks before I could walk downstairs properly and my left achilles still feels weird sometimes.

MTBing is loads better.
  • .blitz wrote:
    RTW-Chaz wrote:
    I was once dumb enough to run 15 cross-country miles carrying a six foot fence post, for charidee. It was three weeks before I could walk downstairs properly and my left achilles still feels weird sometimes.

MTBing is loads better.
    Thanks for the advice.

For the record, it's not AIDS, I had sex with a virgin, so I cured myself. And it's not worms either - I don't eat tons, but I'm still overweight... :?

At the end, I'd ran 110 miles, in one stint. It was over 18 hours, so a steady pace. My legs are alright today, especially since I've been moving around. I think I just need a few days of no phys whatsoever, then by Thursday I'll be running again :D
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • drink more water..... lots more water.....
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • Anonymous
    110 miles :shock:
    Fugginell, are you training for the SAS or something?
  • 110 miles?! Why would you do that?! It's definitely achievable, so I believe you, but why would you do it?

There is little training value to doing that sort of endurance and all you'll do is injure yourself!

There's a time and a place for such feats, and that is as yehaa said, selection. 8)
  • Anonymous
    well, selection, OR running after a particularly determined murder victim.
  • Well, I wouldn't need to run that far training for SAS selection. The furthest distance is 64km, but that's with a bergen, over the Brecon Beacons, so you'd definitely not be running much.

And injuries, not so much. A few of my muscles were a bit sore, and inflamed from the period of extreme phys I had tortured them with. No lasting damage. I'm a million times better this evening than I was this morning.

Why do it...? Well, until you run a very, very long way, you will never be able to understand. And I'm not at all being condescending, but it's true. I can't explain why I do it, why I NEED to do it, but I do. I guess, at least in part, I need to test my limits, find out just exactly how far I can push myself before I cave in.

My plan for the next few months is to build up to running 40-50 miles most weekends, but self-sufficient. It's very possible, but my tendons and ligaments need to be introduced into it.

:D
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Anonymous
    RTW-Chaz wrote:
    Why do it...? Well, until you run a very, very long way, you will never be able to understand. And I'm not at all being condescending, but it's true. I can't explain why I do it, why I NEED to do it, but I do.
    I think I know what you mean. Whilst I do not actually enjoy the act of "running", I do enjoy it, just zoning out with my MP3 player on and running, and running and running.
    I don't anything NEAR the distances you do though, but I think I understand where you're coming from.

Did you see the thing on telly where Eddie Izzard ran a ton of marathons back to back? Crazy!
  • Anonymous
    i know what you mean about testing your body, my mate who is a commando told me he always had to test himself, he then pointed his four fingers at me and tol me that if he didnt test his body constantly, he wouldnt know that he could fit all of those four fingers up his obvious.
  • Anonymous
    Did he test that they fitted up your obvious?
  • Anonymous
    he wouldnt onc i told him that if he wanted to try i would snip them all off.
  • Anonymous
    surely it would be easier to fit them all up if they were snipped off? he could pop themn in one after the other rather than all at the same time.
    You should have suggested that to him.
  • Anonymous
    you might be misunderstanding me, i meant that once they were in me, i would snip them off with my sphincter. i reckon mine would snip through flesh and bone easily enough.
  • neddie
    neddie Posts: 101
    110 Miles

No buses in Salisbury-ish / Leicester
    Boardman Comp.

Norco Fluid
  • i know what you mean about testing your body, my mate who is a commando told me he always had to PLAY with himself, .

Fixed.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • wow! the first post made me think you'd slightly overstretched yourself on a training run, on a nice evening, got carried away and taken the long route or something!! There's a long distance running event you might be interested in. It's John o'groats to Lands end in 2 weeks, running a double marathon a day. Someone at work tried it but had to pull out after the first week due to "elephantitus", his ankles were so swollen he couldn't wear shoes for a few days! :shock:

http://www.ultrarace.co.uk/events/details/?eventid=94