Wilier Cento Uno or Specialized Tarmac SL3 (frameset)

ddcookson
ddcookson Posts: 34
edited October 2010 in Road buying advice

Any thoughts which one and why?

Comments

• inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    The Wilier's nice if you like the word Wilier on the down tube, whereas if you like the word Specialized I'd go for the Tarmac. :wink:
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Ride them both and then make your own mind up? It's the only way to be sure...
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    I bought the SL3 tarmac as an upgrade from the Focus Cayo expert frame.

Have only good things to say about the frame and have found it a joy to ride.

Is there any difference on after sales issues? e.g. Specialized told me the frame is life time g'teed.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    inseine wrote:
    The Wilier's nice if you like the word Wilier on the down tube, whereas if you like the word Specialized I'd go for the Tarmac. :wink:

the Wilier is ideal for pretending that you have a bike made by a boutique Italian manufacturer - while the Spesh is ideal if you are happy to accept that 99% of these frames come out of the same Taiwanese factories, regardless...

I chose the latter... ;)
  • pickled
    pickled Posts: 439
    One can also buy a Willier whilst being happy to accept that 99% of these frames come out of the same Taiwanese factories. No?

:wink:
  • PieterM
    PieterM Posts: 167
    I think the SL3 is the best deal out there for a high-end carbon frame. In fact I found it such a good deal that I bought one myself earlier this year. I'd say save the price difference with the Wilier and spend it on nice parts/wheels.
    European Cycling Trips: http://bikeplustours.com
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    ddcookson wrote:

Any thoughts which one and why?

isnt it a 'beauty and the beast' debate? I actually have a European manufacture Wilier (before they moved production) and it is lovely, but a lower spec than you are considering, however the handling differs, and I looking hard at the new Gran Turismo - seems you can get that for £2400 ish - has to be a bargain (ex Vat)
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    It's all in the ride imo. The Cento Uno felt great when I rode it, lovely handling bike, but never have ridden any Spesh.
  • I know a cento uno rider who raves about it too. particularly in regard to comfort

to be honest of the two I'd take the s-works because willier doesn't get me going that much and the SL3 is just as well engineered and cheaper.

from what's been said about these rigs it seems the cento is a comfortable ride whereas the SL3 is a bit more aggressive but still comfortable enough.

let's be honest, they are both good enough for pros. buy whiichever you like the look of.
  • sl3 deffo... is cancellara can win the double classics on one... awesome frame.
  • Well I've got a cento (2010) and I love it - so much better than my 2009 trek 4.7 on handling, comfort and speed. It is great decending and at 7.2kg built it is light enough to make a difference on the hills.

Remember the cento has an integrated seatpost you will have to cut to fit your size. It's not a problem as the seat clamp has some leeway in it for slight adjustments. Not sure if the Tarmac has an ISP but this may be a consideration.

Never ridden the tarmac do can't compare it to that but the cento is a fantastic ride.
  • Another vote for the Cento Uno. I have a 2010 frame, and have ridden most other top end bikes, and I can't believe how comfortable the Cento is. I have a bit of a sore back, being an old g*t, and on every 100 mile Sportive I have done I have no trouble. Its an absolute joy to ride....a decent pair of wheels also helps BTW.
  • It's all about the geometry surely?

I would go for the Wilier 'cos the short top tube and longer head tube suit my long legs and short body - but it depends on your own body shape and flexibility.