Stupid Qn, are my forks IS or post mount ?

weeksy59
weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
edited September 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Flogging my Recons that came on my Commencal Super4.3

Fork:White RockShox Recon SL Solo Air Lockout 100mm

The question was asked about IS or post mount. I've seen this a lot but never know what the difference is...

They have a sticky out 2 hole mount thing on the rear of fork leg if that helps. ?

Educate me please.

DSC02076.jpg

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm sure someone knows exactly what mounting each rockshox fork uses (like Supersonic!)
    BUT, for the rest of us, a picture of the actual brake mounts would be far more helpful, than the thoroughly unhelpful front-on picture, in which we cannot see ANY brake mount.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    or have a look in the teck links sticky or the FAQs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • weeksy59
    Forks are not here i'm afraid.

Do you have pics of both so i can compare from memory ?

Or even a pic of either mounting so i can try and work it out ?
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12567315

Quick Google search suggests they're IS mount, but I could be wrong.
  • weeksy59
    BAsed on this pic in FAQ's i think they're IS mount.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/166/3558 ... b3.jpg?v=0
  • gnome
    gnome Posts: 11
    if the "sticky out post things" are 2 seperate internally threaded posts where the bolts would be parrallel to the rotor then they are post mount, if you are looking at a shaped section welded to the post leg with 2 holes parrellel to the axle then this is IS mount.
  • weeksy59
    gnome wrote:
    if the "sticky out post things" are 2 seperate internally threaded posts where the bolts would be parrallel to the rotor then they are post mount, if you are looking at a shaped section welded to the post leg with 2 holes parrellel to the axle then this is IS mount.

thanks
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Would be a lot simpler if you just put a pic up of the fork mount, instead of the front of the fork.
  • weeksy59
    stu8975 wrote:
    Would be a lot simpler if you just put a pic up of the fork mount, instead of the front of the fork.

Why didn't i think of that 4 hours ago.....

Oh yes.... because i don't have one.

:roll:
  • k2rider
    k2rider Posts: 575
    post mount has 2 square blocks on the back of the leg with holes which are threaded, is mounts have 2 semi circular-ish lugs on the back that arent threaded and point the opposite way (my attempt at an idiots guide to brake mounts)
    who cares?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As has been said, but to summarise

Post mount, two square blocks, internally threaded, blind holes, face the rear of the bike when mounted normally.

IS mount, two lugs on the rear of the fork, no thread, straight through, parallel to the front axle.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Anonymous
    Getting like a bit of an echo-chamber in here, isn't it?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Getting like a bit of an echo-chamber in here, isn't it?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Quack
  • Anonymous
    Getting like a bit of an echo chamber in here, isn't it?
    Getting like a bit of an echo chamber in here, isn't it?
    Quack.
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    IS mount
    fork-is-brake-mounts.jpg

Post Mount
    Fox_2008_fork_disc_brake_mounts.jpg
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Are we going for a world record on how many times the same thing can be posted?
  • Anonymous
    So, according to what J L posted, IS mount doesn't have a wheel, and Post Mount does.
    Well, in that case, the forks in the first post must me IS mount then
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    How many forum members does it take to clarify which is IS and which is Post mount?

- 1 to post fork about it
    - 14 to share similar experiences of how they've learned which is which, and how big idiots they've been for not understanding it
    - 1 to move it to the Crud Catcher folder
    - 2 to argue and then move it to the MTB General folder
    - 7 to point out grammar/spelling errors in post about recognizing IS with PostMount
    - 5 to flame the spell checkers
    - 3 to correct spelling/grammar flames
    - 6 to argue whether it's a IS or Post Mount
    - 2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is International Standard
    - 15 know it all who claim they were in the industry, and that IS is perfectly correct
    - 19 to post that this forum is not about brake mounts and to please take the discussion to the Workshop & Tech forum
    - 11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all have brake mounts and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum
    - 3 to say that there is an echo in this forum
    - 36 to discuss the dangers of mounting the calipers without a professional opinion
    - 5 to post a disclaimer that they are not brake mount experts, nor do they play one on TV and that anyone planning on mounting their own brakes should consult a professional
    - 7 to post URLs where one can see examples of different mounting standards
    - 4 to post that the URLs were posted incorrectly and then to post the correct URLs
    - 7 to post pictures they found from the URLs that are relevant to this group which makes brake mounts relevant to this group
    - 13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add, "+ potato."
    - 5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the brake mount controversy
    - 4 to say, "Didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"
    - 13 to say, "Do a Google search on brake mounts before posting questions about identifying brake mounts."
    - 1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again
  • cooldad
    Xtreem wrote:
    How many forum members does it take to clarify which is IS and which is Post mount?

- 1 to post fork about it
    - 14 to share similar experiences of how they've learned which is which, and how big idiots they've been for not understanding it
    - 1 to move it to the Crud Catcher folder
    - 2 to argue and then move it to the MTB General folder
    - 7 to point out grammar/spelling errors in post about recognizing IS with PostMount
    - 5 to flame the spell checkers
    - 3 to correct spelling/grammar flames
    - 6 to argue whether it's a IS or Post Mount
    - 2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is International Standard
    - 15 know it all who claim they were in the industry, and that IS is perfectly correct
    - 19 to post that this forum is not about brake mounts and to please take the discussion to the Workshop & Tech forum
    - 11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all have brake mounts and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum
    - 3 to say that there is an echo in this forum
    - 36 to discuss the dangers of mounting the calipers without a professional opinion
    - 5 to post a disclaimer that they are not brake mount experts, nor do they play one on TV and that anyone planning on mounting their own brakes should consult a professional
    - 7 to post URLs where one can see examples of different mounting standards
    - 4 to post that the URLs were posted incorrectly and then to post the correct URLs
    - 7 to post pictures they found from the URLs that are relevant to this group which makes brake mounts relevant to this group
    - 13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add, "+ potato."
    - 5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the brake mount controversy
    - 4 to say, "Didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"
    - 13 to say, "Do a Google search on brake mounts before posting questions about identifying brake mounts."
    - 1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again
    + POTATO
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Xtreem, you have hit the nail on the head! :lol:
    One problem with your post (and this one, obviously) is that the word "post" referring to a forum post, is eerily similar to the word "post" as in post mount.
    Maybe that's where the confusion stems from?
    Oh no, now I've gone and thrown stems into the mix as well :shock:
  • cooldad
    Xtreem, you have hit the nail on the head! :lol:
    One problem with your post (and this one, obviously) is that the word "post" referring to a forum post, is eerily similar to the word "post" as in post mount.
    Maybe that's where the confusion stems from?
    Oh no, now I've gone and thrown stems into the mix as well :shock:

Which should be good for another few pages at least:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stem

Discuss
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    I'll discuss your stem in a minute