Winter chain lube?

t0ph0id
t0ph0id Posts: 191
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
What's your winter chain lube of choice?

Do you use different to summer?

Comments

• Ive used GT85 for many years including MTB and never had a chain rust....
  • Finish line Cross Country Lube. Goes on the mountain bikes all year round and on the road bike in the winter.
  • Ive used GT85 for many years including MTB and never had a chain rust....

oh dear GT85 is not a chain lube. It's suitable for inner brake cables, and squirt on cassette rings, and that's it.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    I hear lots of people saying that, and stating the sensible reason why. But I also hear a lot of people saying they use it and it's fine.

Father Jack, do you speak from experience?

I've found that 'wet' lube works well but picks up loads of gunk, so am experimenting with dry lube applied more often for a while.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    twotyred wrote:
    Finish line Cross Country Lube. Goes on the mountain bikes all year round and on the road bike in the winter.
    +1
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    FWIW I don't believe I've ever seen a lube promoted as a winter or summer or fall or spring type. It's probably only a matter of time before some manufacturer and his ad men
    come up with a, seemingly plausable, reason why you should buy different lubes for different seasons. Possibly even even daylight and nighttime lubes. I'm pretty sure that seasonal lubes will really sell big, for at least a week or two, until the next great thing comes out.
    I honestly believe that bike lubes are at the top of cyclings "sucker born every minute" list. Myself included. Chain cleaners and torque wrenches in a dead heat for second place (IMHO). :wink::wink::wink:
  • There's a definite difference between wet and dry lubes.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I don't think the OP means seasonal as such, he's probably talking about that here in the UK, we have wet Autumn and Winters, and we also put a lot of salt/grit on the roads. So he needs a lube that copes well with that. Of course, you could also need those same properties of lube if you went out for a ride in June and it rained.

I'll just add another vote against GT85. GT85 smells lovely, it's great for getting rid of squeaks on gates, a dab on non weight bearing pivots is also great. But in my experience, it's not a good chain lube because you have to reapply it very frequently. I doubt if one spray would last a decent Sunday ride for me. Far more economical to apply some thicker lube from a dropper carefully to the inside of the links and wipe away the excess.

Personally I use Finish Line Cross Country for bad weather, and use the dry wax lubes for dry weather. For me as I have 2 bikes, that means my summer bike gets the wax treatment and the winter gets Cross Country.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513

oh dear GT85 is not a chain lube. It's suitable for inner brake cables, and squirt on cassette rings, and that's it.

blah blah blah blah......

If you ever get round to buying a can, try reading the label. It's actually pretty good as a chain lube.....
  • lol whatever.
  • dodgy wrote:
    I don't think the OP means seasonal as such, he's probably talking about that here in the UK, we have wet Autumn and Winters, and we also put a lot of salt/grit on the roads. So he needs a lube that copes well with that. Of course, you could also need those same properties of lube if you went out for a ride in June and it rained.

I'll just add another vote against GT85. GT85 smells lovely, it's great for getting rid of squeaks on gates, a dab on non weight bearing pivots is also great. But in my experience, it's not a good chain lube because you have to reapply it very frequently. I doubt if one spray would last a decent Sunday ride for me. Far more economical to apply some thicker lube from a dropper carefully to the inside of the links and wipe away the excess.

Personally I use Finish Line Cross Country for bad weather, and use the dry wax lubes for dry weather. For me as I have 2 bikes, that means my summer bike gets the wax treatment and the winter gets Cross Country.

+1
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    someone called softlad uses gt85 on a chain, i say no more
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    rake wrote:
    someone called softlad uses gt85 on a chain, i say no more

ah, I see what you did there...very clever and very original...

Nothing wrong with GT85 on a chain - the Peugeot MTB team used to run it on their transmissions back in the early 90s, and riders like Tim Gould and Fred Salmon would miraculously finish (and sometimes even win) races, despite using it.

Anyway, the point I was making was that dear old 'Father Jack' was under the mistaken impression that it wasn't chain lube, which is not correct - it's a lubricant, therefore it is. It may not be the best, but it's a lube nonetheless...

Anyway - judging by your avatar pic, you obviously have a head injury, so I'll say no more....see what I did there...?
  • Try this stuff http://squirtlube.com/ its awsome.

A friend recommended I try the free sample they offer and I've been really impressed. Requires no degreasing, cleaning is easier and I seem to use a lot less.
  • Using the same lube as the pros is great if you get free chains like them as well. For the rest of us a lube that actually gives decent lubrication over long periods would be better.

I'm told both Regina Chains and Honda recommend standard car gearbox oil on non O-ring chains, and at £7.50 per litre against Finish Line Cross Country working out at £58.25 per litre (!!!) it's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned. OK, no doubt GT-85 or other light lubricants will cause less drag, and for some that might be an issue. Could always dilute the gear oil with paraffin to the required viscosity?
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I would add that lube manufacturers want you to believe that chains, bearings, and the like are sort of high tech devices, therefore requiring expensive high tech lubes. So they put out some pretty colored lubes, in fancy bottles, and the cycling public sucks up every word about them as if they are wonder materials. In the end it's just wax or oil or grease
    and any of it will do the job.
  • Using the same lube as the pros is great if you get free chains like them as well. For the rest of us a lube that actually gives decent lubrication over long periods would be better.

Exactly. Since GT85 is a really thin lube, if the chain wears out more than usual for pro riders it doesn't matter, as they probably get a new chain every tour (if not more probably cassette and new wheels) But for us when chains need to last thousands of miles, then using a quality chain lube not a water displacer/very light lube is better option
  • ive tried the finish line stuff and many more but found that it attracted many more times the amount of crap and therfore works much better as a grinding paste than lubing! the gt85 yes its thin but doesnt attract a fraction of the crap therefore works less like a grinding paste than other thicker and stickier stuff.

The past 15-17 years of gt85 with no broken or rusted chains and raced mountain bikes though out the year and now on my road bike say it all to me, and thats what i shall continue to use. However we all think what we use is the best stuff in the world... blah blah blah

Gt85 may not be the best but as stated above its served me well.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    car oils a sensible option. theres two parts to chain lube, internal rollers and outside tooth contact. clean regularly and muck isnt a problem.
  • clx1
    clx1 Posts: 200
    For what it's worth I'd recommend "Rock and Roll" chain lube and cleaner for all year round use. It's very quick and simple to use and you end up with a very clean well lubed chain. It's not cheap but it's the best lube I've used.
  • jthef
    jthef Posts: 226
    + 1 for http://squirtlube.com
    just on my first chain using it and mileage is up to 2000 miles so similar ware to normal bike lubes and all the cleaning and relubing every week or 2 :(
    Now a squirt every week or 4 depending how much rain, and no cleaning :D:lol:
  • dmch2
    dmch2 Posts: 731
    Am I right that the normal advice is to replace the chain when 12" goes to 12 1/8" ?

It seems that the only way to see which of us is right to measure the chain from time to time and report how many miles you got before it 'stretched' that much.
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
    2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    I prefer SRAM and do not get into the Shimano v Campag debate.

Oh, sorry...

another lube debate.

Right, in that case, GT85 displaces water, so stops rust. It will lubricate a bit. Better to use a thicker lube in winter. Any will do the job. All attract dirt and you need to keep the chain clean.

None work wonders, and normal oil is as good. Mind you, I use purple extreme cos a very seasoned mechanic told me to. It was that or the snake oil. My mate uses lard bars.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Scrumple wrote:
    GT85 displaces water, so stops rust. It will lubricate a bit. Better to use a thicker lube in winter. Any will do the job. All attract dirt and you need to keep the chain clean.
    I agree.

A generous weekly dosing with GT85 worked OK when I was commuting 4 or 5 easy miles through town. When the office moved and the mileage went up to 10 miles each way it had to be applied more often. In the wet it washes off even faster.

I now use Green Oil, which works well, is biodegradable and doesn't contain Teflon or any other nasty stuff. With a wet lube any chain will attract more muck than dry lubes but it I find mine doesn't need cleaning that often, despite using country lanes for a large part of my route.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    stuff I have actually used and how well it worked

1) 3 in 1. This works fine, although it is a bit messy. I still use it on my 1/8" chain on the hub gear bike. On the plus side with this it very cheap

2) Finish Line "Green" aka long distance. This stays on in the rain, it really is long distance. However it does get mucky fairly quick. As I like to ride a long way quite often this is the favoured stuff. Needs degreasing/cleaning before reapplying. Apply once, wait an hour, wipe clean, apply again.

3) Finish Line "red". This is the fine weather version. It is less mucky and dirt attracting than "green" but comes off in the rain. Need to top it up before each ride.

4) WD40. This is fine as a chain lube but if there is any moisture on the road, it washes off quickly leaving your chain ready to rust and squeak and jam. Not recommended

5) Chain saw oil. A bit too thick, but better than nothing. Gets dirty quick.

6) Spray on motor bike chain oil. Works great, but is extremely messy to apply. Doesn't stay on as well as finish line "green"

7) prolink gold. This is like magic. The chain barely shows any dirt, reapplying it without using any other products cleans the chain, it resists water fairly well ( not quite as good as "green" ) and the chain runs beautifully quietly. It is bloody expensive however. Use this on my dry weather commute bike and mrs vorsprungs new bike.
  • Prolink Gold is great stuff. I use it on all my bikes and all the other bikes in the family- that makes 7 active ones- for about £3.00 a year. Trick is to get the Prolink luber and you'll be putting the lube on the chain and not on the ground (or your kitchen floor).
  • What about motorcycle chain wax?
  • GT85, I wouldn't recommend as a chain lube, but is great for cleaning the chain and other parts of the bike. I use Finish Line red for the chain. It might not stay on for a long time, but I prefer to apply more often, wiping down the chain etc each time.

I’ve also used GT85 as a frame polish (applied to a cloth). The frame shines up nicely and dirt is easy to clean off.
    It’s worked nicely for me, but I’m open to suggestions why not to use it in this way??