Reba fork travel & handling

winterdancer
winterdancer Posts: 42
edited September 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I've a newish pair of Reba forks on my Kona Kula Primo. When I bought them they were set up with 80mm travel, so when I brought them in for their 20hr service I asked that they be set up with the 100mm travel (I'd seen that the Kula Primo was sold as a complete bike with 100mm travel forks so reckoned this would be a guide to the set up suitable for the geometry of the bike).

However, the guys in the lbs gave them back with 120mm travel... which just feels way too much (although tbh I don't have experience with long travel forks). I've set them up with the sag at the higher end of the scale mentioned in the manual (25%) so that the front dropped a bit lower. However, I still feel that the bike handles quite a bit differently - but can't get my head around the change in geometry... longer forks (longer trail) equal slower and more stable steering - but I feel like the bike has actually got more unpredictable on front - is this to do with my weight being further back? I'm not really into mad descents, and would be happier with a bike that didn't feel twitchy on climbs, so should I go back to the shop and ask them to adjust the travel again back down to 100mm?

Thanks,

Comments