Madone or Tarmac???

Mustang31
Mustang31 Posts: 6
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
I have just trashed my 'starter' road bike by having a car run in to IT and ME. I am looking now to get a replacement and I have approximately £3,000 to spend on a road bike that is worthy of not only taking me fast over many miles but also good for fitting aero bars on for weekly TT's. I cannot afford specific bikes for both forms of riding. I am 6'5" and approx 200 lbs so this need considering when making my purchase. The Madone and Tarmac both appeal and test rides are coming up in next couple of weeks. Great bikes but is there any buying advice out there to help me? HELP!!!
Specialized Rockhopper Pro 2008
Cervelo S2 2011 (on its way!!)

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Whatever feels the best.

I would also recommend getting the bike that offers the best components as the frames will be similar. Look at previous year's models if any available as it will give you a better deal than forking out full retail for a 2011 model.

Your size means you will be looking for a very large frame - and a lot of retailers may have 'older' bikes still in stock as those sizes aren't as popular - meaning you may get a better deal on an older one as they will be looking to clear it. If they have any in stock, of course.

Both the Spesh and Madone have similar geometry so should feel about the same.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    If you do have £3K to spend, then look at a Ti frame? Van Nicolas, Enigma, Sabbath or Lynskey.

They'll easily take your weight, great quality, will last a life time, and next time you get hit by a car, the bike will come off better! ;)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ti isn't the be all and end all! I would hope my aluminium and carbon bikes will last as long as my titanium bike. And I hope all will last as long and as well as my steel one...

Crack a Ti frame and it's just as farked as Aluminium or Carbon.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    edited September 2010
    Given your budget is fairly high and so is the performance your size requires from a bike, I would have a chat with a frame builder in your area, to make something specific for you, in terms of size and strong tubing. He would probably advise you on a set of strong wheels with a bit of profile for TT... add a quality groupset and you're in business
    left the forum March 2023
  • TMR
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Ti isn't the be all and end all! I would hope my aluminium and carbon bikes will last as long as my titanium bike. And I hope all will last as long and as well as my steel one...

I didn't say it was the be all and end all? Crack a Ti frame and you send it back to the builder and they swap a tube out. Good look trying to do that with a carbon monocoque!

Any way - it was a good suggestion for the OP, so go and poo poo someone else Mr Grumpy! :P
  • 2 reasons for posting the link below...

I am more than happy with mine in terms of speed and comfort, secondly, they only have a size 60 left at this reduced price which may be suitable for a rider of your height?

http://www.wheelbase.co.uk/products/tre ... ompact.htm
  • Anonymous
    NapoleonD wrote:

I didn't say it was the be all and end all? Crack a Ti frame and you send it back to the builder and they swap a tube out. Good look trying to do that with a carbon monocoque!

Any way - it was a good suggestion for the OP, so go and poo poo someone else Mr Grumpy! :P

Funnily enough, I know someone who has cracked a seat tube on a Ti bike and has been told it's unrepairable... Carbon is actually more repairable than people think.

The reason for me saying Ti isn't the be all and end all is that people seem to attribute this almost mythical quality to it...

I'm not Mr Grumpy, I'm Mr Freakin' Touchy today! GRRR :x
  • already so many replies, thats thanks folks :D ...I did avidy read up in Ti bikes in the recent issue of Cycling Plus but an swaying more towards carbon. Well spotted Poker33, thanks for taking time to find that.
    There is a third option that I am looking at which I am trying to avoid but it keeps calling for me to read up more on it...Felt AR3 or 4....it would suit my TT needs as well :?
    Anyway, on that note, I will leave NapoleonD and The Mad Rapper to their debate then....
    Others out there please do comment on MY issue of Trek or Spesh? :)
  • Anonymous
    No. GRRR!

A lad on here (Spanielsson) has gone from a Madone to a Colnago and feels that it was well worth the change...

Is there anywhere you can get a go on any of them? That should give you a better idea and possibly a leftfield option will arise that you've never heard of and love to bits!
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    serious answer, bear with me.

why not split that and buy 2 bikes.
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/PBP ... sram-rival
    and
    £1600 on one of last years madones/tarmacs?
  • GENIUS Spaspaddy!!! I am liking the idea...:)
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    that stealth got a very good write up on the mainsite. i thought i saw it this morning but cant find it again.

you can get a tarmac elite with 105 which would be sufficient would it not?

and you could always get another planet x with the other £1600, maybe they'll do you a deal if you spend £3k in one go with them?
  • i checked out the P/X report on Bikerader which gives it a big thumbs up. The shop I am buying from doesn't do Planet X but that doesn't stop me gettin Spesh from them and an internet X. It is this thinking of wanting both bikes that led me on to the Felt AR series which is a combination of both bikes (raod and aero TT fit) and a sexy lookin' thing too!...just not sure if it performs well which is why I am trying to stay away. Can't find any great reviews
  • Given your budget is fairly high and so is the performance your size requires from a bike, I would have a chat with a frame builder in your area, to make something specific for you, in terms of size and strong tubing. He would probably advise you on a set of strong wheels with a bit of profile for TT... add a quality groupset and you're in business
    Not to pick on you but ewwww, yuck - custom frames are a crock for 95% of us, plus I'm not sure this guy said he needed one so I'm surprised at your suggestion - going custom totally phuks the weight/stiffnness/cost ratio a mass market Madone or Spesh offers the OP for his £3k. In short, the 62-63 cm size the OP might need would be in the 1200-1300 gram region for Spesh or Truck. Name me one custom builder who could so something as light, stiff, or cheap?

Back to the 2 bikes - I've only ridden 1 in a 56cm so I can't help but RIDE THEM FOR SURE - at your size and power output a test ride is key - so call your LBS and arrange for the correct sizes to be delivered so you can compare. Note that with Trek it's important to differentiate between Performance and Pro fit - if you want it to do double duty - go for the Trek Pro fit maybe. Do make an Excel sheet to compare TT and HT for the sizes in your range.

Finally, have you looked at a Cannondale six? Or the Cervelo S1 - both are quite stiff subjectively speaking.

I agree with Nap D - the boat I sail on has a carbon spinnaker pole, on one windy gybe we snapped it in 2. To fix it we sleeved and epoxied it. It gained approx 500 grams for a 8 kg pole and now it's stronger than before. Doesn't look half bad. I think many folks might not know what you can achieve with some carbon mat or pre-peg, some epoxy or polyester resin, a roller, some cling film, and a hair dryer.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Both NapD and myself are serial tinkers and gear swappers.I have high end bikes from Colnago, Trek and Cervelo. I've also had a Sabbath Silk Road and a Planet X SL Pro Carbon in the last 12 months.

To do it all over again and only own one bike with a £3k budget to spend I'd call Greg at Sabbath and discuss a Monday's Child build OR would give serious consideration to a Cervelo S2..........
  • Anonymous
    I've just realised I was posting on the wrong thread, heh heh!

The two bike option looks good!
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    With that amount of money, build one up or at least buy all the stuff and get somebody to build it for you, i did and saved a fortune.
    At this time of year you get huge reductions on frames and if you shop about and take your time you'll pick the rest up in no time.
  • If these are as custom as they say they are, you could get one of these: http://www.wyndymilla.com/big-geranium.html

You have like like pink tho, and I mean REALLY like pink :-)

Or you could get their TT frame in custom road geometry with a taller HT like your road bike: http://www.wyndymilla.com/saw-doctor.html

Looks like I answered my own question about how could do custom for a good price. Trouble is, these guys are located in Surrey so don't know how close that is to you.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • HOLY MOLY :shock: ...you really do need to like pink! ha ha :)
  • TMR
    That pink frame is f*cking minging! Yak! :cry:
  • spasypaddy wrote:
    serious answer, bear with me.

why not split that and buy 2 bikes.
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/PBP ... sram-rival
    and
    £1600 on one of last years madones/tarmacs?

You could pretty much afford that Planet X and a Felt aero roadbike!:
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... LT-AR4.htm
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Boardman CX Team
    Trek 8000
    Sirrus framed 'special'

Prev: Avanti Corsa, Routens, MBK TT, homemade TT bike, Trek 990, Vitus 979 x 2, Peugeot Roubaix & er..Raleigh Arena!