Shoe care and how not to do it

stubs
stubs Posts: 5,001
edited September 2010 in The Crudcatcher
Riding thursday I got completely mudded up my shimano mp66 riding clogs got covered in a mix of sheep poo, horse poo, peat bog, clay and pennine grit. They were completely invisible under a thick coating, weighed a ton and were soaking wet when I finished. The shoes were then thrown into a box with a pair of soggy sweaty socks inside them and left to brew up till this morning.

Jeebus I opened the box and thought my nose was going to fall off. I got them out using an old towel, dont know how I didnt lose my breakfast. They have now been jetwashed and are soaking in a bucket of warm water with a capful of Zoflora disinfectant. The socks are stinking out the wheelie bin.

Any ideas on how to get the pong off the shoes or is it time I bought some new ones.
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I wish I knew. I have a perfecty serviceable pair of Vans that were only a few months old, but I wore them to a rave, and now they smell like satan's armpits.
    Readong your post made me wonder if soaking them in milton would get rid of the stench.
    Surely the smell is some kind of bacteria, so something that kills bacteria should work. hmm.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yeah, Miltons. Miltons or fire. Fire cleanses all.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Anonymous
    Fire does cleanse all. Trouble is it cleanses the shoe of it's very "shoe-ness" as well.
  • I tried Miltons with my M1's and they still smelled like rancid cat p**s. The Zoflora worked though, after trying Jayes fluid and baking powder.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • wash it

wash it with Febreze.
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • I've always just used a bucket of soapy water - normally Fairy Liquid and scrubbed them, then hosed them down.
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    I wish I knew. I have a perfecty serviceable pair of Vans that were only a few months old, but I wore them to a rave

was this back in 1990

TAXI........... :lol:
    Milton will do it, or any Bio washing powder
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • Anonymous
    Nope, JL. Worth Nails never got the memo that the rave scene had to stop.
    I thought Devon was the same though.
  • put them in a pillow case or two and stick em in the washing machine with some decent washing powder on 30 degrees. dry them in an airing cupboard or something. Not too hot though!!
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • Anonymous
    put them in a pillow case or two and stick em in the washing machine with some decent washing powder on 30 degrees. dry them in an airing cupboard or something. Not too hot though!!
    I tried that with my vans several times over, and the stink just won't go away.
  • put them in a pillow case or two and stick em in the washing machine with some decent washing powder on 30 degrees. dry them in an airing cupboard or something. Not too hot though!!

Is the stink there whenever you go near or wear the shoes?

If so, the stink might not be the shoes... :shock:
  • Anonymous
    stink is definitely the shoes, el cap, thanks :lol:

use stronger washing powder or a higher temp. too high and you'll shrink em :oops:

you want to burn the bacteria off 8)
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • Jet wash them untill they are totally clean including the insoles. Then put them in a bucket full of hot water and Zoflora or suchlike and leave to soak followed by a good hand scrub.

Rinse using hot water and shake as much water out of them a possible.

Dry on a radiator and once dry, spray loads of Febreeze on them.

Wait to dry, then get them mucky again!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    They have been in the Zoflora all day and the stench has gone from bio warfare to just rugby team changing room. So its rinse and repeat hope it works I love my Shimano MP66 clogs had them for 4 years and still in good nick dont think they sell them in black anymore just white.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • I wish I knew. I have a perfecty serviceable pair of Vans that were only a few months old, but I wore them to a rave, and now they smell like satan's armpits.

new shoes at rave error.

i once had a lovely pair of oakleys that i wore to a clubnight at the roadhouse in manchester. they got trod on a bit, but the dirt actually seemed to erode the leather. nasty.