buy new or upgrade the old....?

ham_2010
ham_2010 Posts: 20
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

Having owned a road bike for the past 6 years (a 2003 carrera vanquish...) I am looking to upgrade to something a little newer. The current steed is a very poor and ill-fitting alu frame/fork, with the old 9-speed 105 groupset and easton vista sl wheels (a previous upgrade).

My question is, with a budget of around £1000 or so I am considering buying new, but I am also wondering whether my money might be better spent upgrading the frame (the ribble sportive carbon has caught my eye) and using the remainder of the money for some nice aero wheels. Will the 9-speed 105 groupset be decent enough or should I just go for something with new 105 (or even new tiagra)?

The bike will mainly be used for recreational riding, but I am currently training for my first triathlon and take a trip to europe yearly for a week or two's cycling.

Cheers all

Ceri

Comments

• Buy yourself a new bike and use your existing bike for wet/bad weather riding. Not worth spending serious money or re-using a 7 year old groupset on a new frame IMHO.