Specialized Tricross - other similar bikes?

Mr Plum
Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
I'm looking for a bike that's suitable for doing some touring with but I don't want an out and out tourer. I'd quite like something I can use for some good general road riding after i've finished with the touring - a 1 off 'end to end' ride. I got some great advice from Rayment cycles in Brighton about the type of bike I should be looking for and they recommended the Tricross due to its larger tires and stronger frame being suitable for riding along gravely cycle paths and its general strength for a heavy rack. I'm just wondering what else is out there from other manufacturers that's similar? I had originally considered a Specialized Secture but the guy I spoke to advised against this for the purpose of the tour, although it would be more fun to ride after... Could I get 32mm or 36mm tires on the Secture?
FCN 2 to 8

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Planet X Uncle John or a Surly frame?
    M.Rushton
  • I'm looking at getting a cx bike at the moment and there are a surprising amount of choices out there if you have a reasonable budget, some names that have crossed my search are: Genesis Vapour/croix de fer, Kona Jake, Bianchi D2, Giant tcx. There is quite a lack of any budget options as most of those are about £800 but there is the Revolution cross from edinburgh bicycle. I havent ridden any of these yet, they're just some of the ones i've come across, also i'm specifically looking for one's with drop bars. Most manufacturer's seem to have a bike of this style in their range.
    - Genesis Equilibrium Athena
    - Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    If you're at all swayed by looks (I am) the Croix de Fer looks a million percent better than a Tricross.

Strava is not Zen.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    +1 for the PX Uncle John
  • Phate
    Phate Posts: 121
    Spesh have also released another crosser for 2011, the Crux which looks rather nice tbh!
    exercise.png
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Cheers for the advice guys. The Uncle John looks great and pretty much ideal but the complete bike from Planet X is slightly out of my budget - im probably looking at spending about 650 tops. I'll have a look at a few of the other ones mentioned.
    The Tricross was recommended due to its versatility; it's not a road bike, it's not a 'cross bike, it's a compromise of both...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Phate
    Phate Posts: 121
    Mr Plum wrote:
    Cheers for the advice guys. The Uncle John looks great and pretty much ideal but the complete bike from Planet X is slightly out of my budget - im probably looking at spending about 650 tops. I'll have a look at a few of the other ones mentioned.
    The Tricross was recommended due to its versatility; it's not a road bike, it's not a 'cross bike, it's a compromise of both...

For that budget you should have a look at the Revolution Cross
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f_ProductID=12407&f_SupersetQRY=C438&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003155c018341
    exercise.png
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    a couple of chaps at work have the tricross and while there's nothing much wrong with it as such, it just seems a bit bloated for its intended multi-purposes.

The croix de fer is indeed very pretty but its also expensive and on the heavy side, but I'd agree with Phate that the edinburgh rev cross is worth a look
  • I like my Tricross but I don't love riding it in the same way I love my road bike.

On the other hand it is bomb proof - I have rode the hell out of it for four years or more and it's still going strong. Not many original parts now but nothing failed prematurely either - it just wore out as bike bits do.

I do more miles on the Tricross than the other bike because it's so versatile. I do club runs, commute, touring and all my winter riding on it - so I have had great value out of the bike.

The one thing that really annoys me about the Tricross and 'cross bike in general is that cantilever brakes take a lot more fettling to keep sharp. Callipers are so much nicer to use.
    Summer - Colnago C40
    Race - Wilier Alpe D'Huez
    Winter/Commuter - Specialized Tricross