London Photocall

penfolduk
penfolduk Posts: 74
edited September 2010 in MTB rides
I am a photographer that used to ride loads, not so much now and want to try and get some brilliant biking pictures.

If anybody would like to join me one weekend?

Phil

Comments

• dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 737
    I love taking pictures (amateur) and would love to join you as another photographer. Would that be ok? I may learn a thing or two from you :)
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Big bunch of us on the London Calling thread from the London and South East area, and some of us are into photography (and some film makers in the making too :D).

I'm keen myself on mixing my photography hobby with MTB (and in the winter... skiing!).

Only problem is taking photos does get in the way of riding, and it requires a fair bit of planning to set up good shots, making sure people are in the right place and perhaps sacrificing a good run to get a shot of someone else getting a good run in. I'm generally reluctant to get the camera out when I want the fun of the ride. Still, would love to get some more stunning action shots rather than the standing around posing by the bike shots I usually get :D.

Anyway, feel free to join us for a more photo oriented trip out, or we to you. Just need to plan which will be for photos as really should put the camera down sometimes and ride!
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Penfolduk, do you have any ideas where you want to shoot? And what style do you want? I can clean my bike for that :D .
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    popstar wrote:
    Penfolduk, do you have any ideas where you want to shoot? And what style do you want? I can clean my bike for that :D .
    And shave your legs.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • First off, we will have no leg shaving! leave that to the roadies and swimmers :wink:

I was thinking of trying to go to Swinley and set up some shots there? As I dont drive this is probably the best place I know that I can get to by train (open to suggestions tho) I wouldnt be doing much riding but mainly letting you guys just go round and round till we got a shot were proud of and to go on your walls :wink: I was also thinking we could try some gritty B&W portraits type shots afterwards when your covered in mud lol

I was going to take all my kit, camera 3 lenses 2 Flash guns etc

What you reckon?
  • popstar
    Penfolduk, where are you based? Guess some of us could offer a lift...

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Popstar I'm based in Blackheath (SE3)
  • Anonymous
    Swinley can get busy in some areas. Depends where you want to set up.

Out by corkscrew is usually dead quiet I find. There's a little "play" area nearby. Not much but something you can easily session with cameras.

There are parts of Seagulls which are picturesque, but have to watch out for riders occasionally coming by, not to mention dog walkers and runners (on plainly dedicated bike singletrack!).

What camera make? I'm Nikon myself so if you have the same I've got a flash that would sync up remotely. I haven't a clue what I'm doing though with the flash :D
  • popstar
    Myself am Canon wannabe with GoPro fun. Think Surrey Hills is better suited, as well as it's easier to get there from Blackheath. At least one of us could pick you up from Dorking train station and drive off into set location. Redlands is dead quite compared to other places, and plenty of inspiring singletrack to choose. All depends what photographer wants out of his shots really.

There are Canadian style trails with tonnes of roots + switchbacks, steep roll offs and some bermy singletrack with small drops-steps for action bonanza.

• dubcat
    I'm canon too. Is there somewhere near a carpark to shoot? If so it would be great to bring my light stands, soft box, etc!
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • Anonymous
    Oh, and just one thing about Swinley is that it's Crown Estate property. Turn up like a film crew and they'll probably want you to have permits. They do get filmakers using the place a bit (notably Warner last year filming Harry Potter).
  • popstar
    Dubcat ... carpark isn't that far away in Redhills, but for different sets you may want to walk some time. Not too far, but for a mile or so.

• I am a Canon man also. Could be interesting to try and get a few photographers and riders together. I dont mind riding a shortish distance with my lightsatnd etc on my back (even my tripod, so we can do some timelapse or staggered type shot)

Shall we try and put a suggested date forward? Is Saturday or Sunday best for people?

Phil
    www.moranphotography.co.uk
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Perhaps it'd make sense to move this to "London Calling"?

BTW, Popstar means Redlands, not Redhill (at least I'm pretty sure that's the case)
  • dubcat
    At yah I think you are right. Got me all excited for nothing lol.
    2012 Bianchi Infinito