Adjusting brakes

dan1502
dan1502 Posts: 568
edited September 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Can anyone point me in the direction of decent instructions on adjusting brakes so they don't rub. They're Hayes Stroker Carbon but the how to video shows the very simple method of loosening the mountings, holding the lever and tightening which is resulting in some rubbing. I found a more precise method somewhere but can't seem to find it.

Thanks

Dan
Santa Cruz Tallboy

Comments

• chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Have you let them bed in? And is it a constant rubbing or only in certain spots?
  • dan1502
    I need to check properly but they're rubbing since I bled them and I think there was a small amount of rubbing before. The pads aren't new. It's possible the discs may need truing too so basically I am looking for a how to on checking all this and, if necessary, equalising the pistons etc. I guess it might also be possible that I've slighly over filled the master cylinder during bleeding as I used diy plastic spacers and had to push the pistons out very slightly which I did after closing the bleed screw?
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like too much fluid in them.

you did push the pistons fully home before bleeding?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dan1502
    Yes, but as I didn't get the spacers with the bike I used joiners plastic spacers instead which as a result of not being that strong allowed the pistons to move out very slightly. I pushed them back a bit before refitting the pads having already closed the bleed screw in the master cylinder. I've just checked and they're rubbing slightly pretty evenly so I think you're right. I'll just open the bleed screw slightly and see if a bit of fluid comes out (making sure the screw is the highest point). I take it this is the right thing to do?
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    dan1502 wrote:
    Yes, but as I didn't get the spacers with the bike I used joiners plastic spacers instead which as a result of not being that strong allowed the pistons to move out very slightly. I pushed them back a bit before refitting the pads having already closed the bleed screw in the master cylinder. I've just checked and they're rubbing slightly pretty evenly so I think you're right. I'll just open the bleed screw slightly and see if a bit of fluid comes out (making sure the screw is the highest point). I take it this is the right thing to do?

Could potentially introduce air into the system, and the fluid (if it's DOT) will eat the paint on your bike if you don't clear it up.