Shoe hot spots

Logic
Logic Posts: 54
edited September 2010 in Road beginners
just got my first road bike this wknd and the 2 times iv been out ( 15mile rides ) im getting hot spots in my shoes just at the fromt of the ball in the centre. Iv got Mavic avenir shoes on shimano 105 pedals and i got the shoe a half size smaller than my normal shoes to give a snug fit. im not sure if im adusting the tightness of the shoe wrong or whether its the position of the cleat being incorrect?

can any1 help - sorry if there are lots of comments about this but could find any using search

Thanks

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,532
    assuming the shoe isn't just too tight/soft...

it might be worth trying a different footbed

the specialized bg ones have a raised part that is supposed to stop the bones squishing the nerves and causing hotspots/numbness in this area
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I wouldn't have gone for smaller shoes? From my military days I was told with exercise your foot expands and with the necessary insoles to fit your individual footbed you'll need more if not as much room as you'd have in your normal footwear. Similarly I wouldn't have the shoes really tight, but then what do I know.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Pretre
    Pretre Posts: 355
    It's a very bad idea to get a smaller shoe size deliberately - doesn't matter whether it's for normal shoes or for cycling shoes.Where did you get that idea from? :?

As philthy3 said your feet expand when they get hot (eg during exercise) so I would be very surprised if your issues aren't due to having shoes that are too small.
  • I have the same shoes and similar SPD-SL pedals, and I on occasion had similar problems.

For me, the solution was just to loosen the shoes a little bit, not so that they were slack, but just so that they were not so tight.

This gave my feet room to breathe and also I then found I didn't get the odd pains any more.
    --
    Chris

Road ride: Univega Via Laser
  • Pretre wrote:
    It's a very bad idea to get a smaller shoe size deliberately - doesn't matter whether it's for normal shoes or for cycling shoes.Where did you get that idea from? :?

As philthy3 said your feet expand when they get hot (eg during exercise) so I would be very surprised if your issues aren't due to having shoes that are too small.

+1. I've got shoes that are one size bigger and sometimes feel I need larger still.
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team
  • Logic
    I wouldnt say they are tight or even close - just snug, i wear 10 shoes and im a 9 measured but the shoes in question are 9.5. im wondering whether most ppl get issues cuz of the size or cleat position bt it sounds like most issues are with shoe size - i was under the impression that the shoes needed to be snug like football boots so your foot deosnt flap around inside and damage ligaments, i clear have this wrong so maybe iv been over tighten the straps to lock the foot in to much - il try keeping them secure but on the loose side and see how i got -

but there defferently any issue with cleats here is there?
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    If you've bought the shoes on the small size then don't make matters worse by cranking up the tension on the ratchet.

Like others have said my (Sidi) shoes are 44 and in normal shoes I'm a 42.5...sometimes I can fit a 42 but often I have to get the 43.

With the lower two velcro straps there is no/hardly any tension and I close the ratchet buckle to the point where I can just feel it taking tension and no more. After 3-4 hours my feet start to swell and sometimes I find I need to open the ratchet one click and re-adjust the velcro straps . If I don't then I can get hotspots on the outside of the ball of the foot.
  • Logic
    Seems i may have got the wrong info on getting a snug fit on the shoes - strange really as iv always had a 9 in football boots and when my foot expands during games iv never experienced hot spots but i will assume thats because of the contact area being the whole sole on footy boots and only the ball area in cycle shoes.

Il take onboard all your great advice and try slackening off the velcro's as im sure now im constricting my toe box area which is creating the problem. cheers guys
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    That's because puffballers don't do any work to make their feet swell. :D

Football; a game between 22 men who spend most of their time rolling around on the floor trying to convice the referee they're injured.

Rugby; a game between 30 men who spend most of the time rolling around on the floor trying to convince the referee that they're not injured. Unless you play for Harlequins!
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    A footbed with a metatarsal button in them might help. What happens if the toes are squashed, the nerves get restricted, and you get a burning sensation. This spreads the metatarsals very slightly stopping the nerves getting pinched

Try have the velco loose, but if the actual shoe is snug then even this might not help.
  • Logic
    i play 5 a side so its 45 mins of almost max HR fast action end to end without refs so its pretty hard going, but do enjoy rugby to - come on the saints

cheers again guys
  • Logic
    Hi guys - just a quick update, i adjusted my cleats so my foot was further back on the pedal and also i didnt strangle my foot in the shoe, with more movement in the toe box and it worked a treat - i must of been pulling the shoe up to tight i can see that now but adjusting the cleats really helped with comfort too although i wouldnt say its helped with the hot spots just the comfort in the pedal motion. case closed lol