Man down!

mini99
mini99 Posts: 12
edited September 2010 in Road beginners
So, I'm sure this topic may have been posted before, but here goes:

Yesterday, I rode a 70kmish ride. Good, long ride with lots of hills.

Near the end of the ride, I approached an intersection and forgot to unclip the shoes....and yep, you guessed it, down I went. It was highly embarrassing, highly comical, and luckily my bike came away free of "injury". I did also.

It was the first time I've fallen in about 7 months of riding with cleats, and I'm hoping the last time. How many times have you fallen down? Considering I fell over at a 4-way intersection, I dont think it comes much worse than that. But I'm sure someone has done something similarly embarrassing!

Share your funny/embarrassing falling over stories here! I'm sure hearing others' stories might make me feel (slightly) better about myself :P

Comments

• Pretre
    Pretre Posts: 355
    Sorry to hear about your fall but there about 10,000 (give or take) threads on clipless falls - add your story to one of them
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Been riding with spds for a couple of months now & yet to fall so nyah!
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Never happened to me on the road however its happened a few times on the mountain bike but then I'm more likely to come to an unexpected stop on the MTB.
  • Many years ago I keeled over at the head of 2 lanes of traffic. I was waiting for the lights to change with 1 foot clipped in an suddenly realised I was in the wrong lane. I tried to move acoss to the other lane without unclipping my foot but came crashing down. My foot was still clipped in and I was left writhing around on the ground trying to unclip which was very difficult with the bike on top of me. As you might expect, the lights change whilst I was lying under the bike and I had somehow managed to block both lanes of traffic. I eventually got free but it was very embarrassing. I have to say though, in the last 4 or 5 years I can't remember any clipless moments
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    I bought some new cycling shoes a while back, whilst sorting out the position of my cleats on my left foot I fell off to my left followed by the same move to the right, unaware my neighbours w :oops: watching...
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    I was feeling quite smug after a longish ride saturday first time with cleats, and a shorter ride around town on sunday without incident.....

off to work this morning, slowed for a kerb i knew my 23mm tyres wouldn't like, and forgot about the captive feet :( luckily just a grazed left knee and nobody around to see it apart from all the drivers on the A1 southbound :wink:
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • squigs
    squigs Posts: 149
    Pretre wrote:
    Sorry to hear about your fall but there about 10,000 (give or take) threads on clipless falls - add your story to one of them

No!!! add them to this one. You have been a member for 3 years, if you are fed up with reading the same threads then don't read the beginners section and expect never seen before threads.
    Sirrus Comp 2010 (commuting)
    Roubaix Pro SL Sram red (Weekend sportives)
    Certini Campagnolo Mirage (Turbo trainer)
  • jds_1981 wrote:

There's plenty of time yet mi duck. :wink:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • jds_1981 wrote:

haha, making me feel rather amateurish! (which I am, really). These replies are excellent, I think they definitely succeeded at making me feel better (and also giving me a laugh...although I'm glad that most of the stories posted here dont involve any serious injuries)
  • Yep, successfully slipped between two lanes of slow traffic on the approach to a roundabout. Saw a small gap in the traffic on the round about which became smaller as I was just thinking about going, I hesitated, came to a complete halt, realised I was clipped in, did that stupid shuffle with your knees that you tend to do at this moment as I comically keeled over sideways to a soundtrack of motorists wetting themselves laughing. :oops:
  • I made as school boy error at a busy junction, fell over (luckily onto a grass verge) rushed back on, hugely embarassed, only to see a very pretty young girl driving past absolutely pissing herself, definately not my finest hour!!!!!
  • Nothing like a good clipped in fall to focus the mind