Crud RoadRacer Mk2

mattward1979
mattward1979 Posts: 692
edited September 2010 in Road beginners
For those of you looking to get some mudguards to see you through the winter season (And even of you that arent, but really should!) I can reccomend these heartily!

Tricky buggers to fit if you try to decipher the rather lacking instruction leaflet, but using common sense and looking at the pic of them correctly fitted to a Trek Madone on the back of the box, they are a piece of cake.

My bike has hardly any clearance with a set of 700x23's on, so I was dubious, but after a bit of tweaking and tightening after an initial friction addled ride, they are now perfectly positioned away from the tyres with no rubbing at all, and no discernable difference in handling or weight.

Apparently the Mk2 have a longer rear guard as the Mk1 was still causing splashing.

Excellent bit of kit!!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Crud_ ... 360052637/
exercise.png

Comments

• How do these attach under the seat stay bridge and fork crown?
    Just wondering as I'm considering a set for on my crosser and have no caliper holes in the afore mentioned locations.
    Cheers

Andy
    Cyclist, Massage Therapist & Ice Cream Genius
    Andrew Creer Massage
  • They're held on via tie wraps, normally to the brakes. You'll need something to connect them to, either the brakes or a frame gusset of some sort.

I've had a set on my winter bike for about a year and they're great.
  • yeah you get a handful of cable ties in the box, and they fasten on the nut that holds the brake calipers to the frame.
    exercise.png
  • Matt, do these really not rub the tyres at all?! Do they move/rattle around in use on badly surfaced roads? I'm currently using SKS Raceblades and getting fed up with them because they keep rubbing the tyres and won't stay in one place
  • I have Mk 2s and they work well. Fiddly to put on correctly, but less so than SKS guards. See this link for details and tips on fitting, much better than the written instructions.

http://www.crudproducts.com/products/ro ... roadracer_
  • They're a bit fiddly to put on and get adjusted, but I find that once they're set up correctly they don't tend to move and start rubbing.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    There are more threads on these than ways of fitting them.
  • Matt, do these really not rub the tyres at all?! Do they move/rattle around in use on badly surfaced roads? I'm currently using SKS Raceblades and getting fed up with them because they keep rubbing the tyres and won't stay in one place

As long as the cable ties are nice and tight, there is very little movement, so no rubbing, and no contact from the blades.

Went out in the rain today, and my butt stayed perfectly road grit free, and the extended sidewall on the rear mudguard kept the crap off of the hardware, so less mess on the moving parts!
    exercise.png
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Heh heh, Matt, you're just repeating almost verbatim what everyone has been saying on the numerous previous threads ;)

They are good.
  • Clarification and reinforcement of views is always good :D

Didnt realise this was such a widely discussed topic though, so sorry if Ive added to the clutter of the interwebz!
    exercise.png