best place to sell bike?

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
edited September 2010 in Road beginners
well...after constant injuries (thanks to football) ive decided to sell my bike rather than let it stand and collect dust (and tbh i cant keep going past it without being able to take it for a ride, its torture!).

im waiting for an op on my back, but god knows when that will be, so decided to cash in as with the bike at home i know im gonna end up taking it out and doing more damage to my back.

anyway, wheres the best place to sell?
ebay?? classifieds?

cheers

Comments

• Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Just advertise it on the forums here, using the classifieds section. Not only do you guarantee it'll been seen but you also know it'll end up in a good home. Make sure you post images and give a proper discription.

Fleabay costs money to advertise, anything over 99p start bid costs pennies and you will also have to pay xx amount when you sell it. Gumtree is mentioned a lot but I tend to avoid that as it's full of stolen stuff (allegedly). You could try Loot, that's free tp advertise and you can do it online.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    thanks for the tip. will take some pics and then advertise in classifieds.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,436
    there's nothing alleged about gumtree being full of stolen stuff

my bike was sold on there after it was pinched, the thief used the same payg mobile number with different names to advertise 5 other bikes at the same time

gumtree == thieves paradise
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • fastbatard
    fastbatard Posts: 137
    I have sold bikes successfully on here and Gumtree. I would be wary buying from Gumtree as I would from anywhere second hand but would definately advertise on there when selling.

I have used ebay as a last resort but as others have said the fees are expensive. KIss goodbye to around 10% by the time ebay and paypal have taken their chunk!
  • sundog
    sundog Posts: 243
    redvision wrote:
    well...after constant injuries (thanks to football) ive decided to sell my bike rather than let it stand and collect dust (and tbh i cant keep going past it without being able to take it for a ride, its torture!).

im waiting for an op on my back, but god knows when that will be, so decided to cash in as with the bike at home i know im gonna end up taking it out and doing more damage to my back.

anyway, wheres the best place to sell?
    ebay?? classifieds?

cheers

ebay will get you your 'best' price for it especially if you offer to courier it
    I like white bikes
  • put it on ebay and include your phone mumber . also put " advertised elsewhere reserve the right to end auction early " someone will usually phone up with a cash offer . then end auction early . apart from insertion fee , no other fees .
  • also put " advertised elsewhere reserve the right to end auction early "

You'll find that eBay now flash up a warning to prevent you from doing this.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Also depending on the bike you may find it easier to sell and get more for it if you break it up and sell the parts separately.

+1 for Bike Radar, sold a few bits on here, always went very quick and easy transactions through PayPal.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    I find that although eBay fees are high - particularly when accompanied by a Paypal payment - the final price achieved often justifies the large fees involved.

I have bought and sold bikes on eBay for the last 18 months and generally choose to put my bikes on for 99p and no reserve. I have to say that the market usually establishes a fair price (and often exceeds the price that I would have listed for a Buy It Now).

Good luck