Cleaning white saddle

edb999
edb999 Posts: 44
edited September 2010 in Road beginners
After my roadside puncture repair(s) my saddle is looking a bit grimmey and has some oil/greese stains on it :( any ideas on how to go about getting these out?

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    white toothpaste.
  • sundog
    sundog Posts: 243
    What's it made of?
    I like white bikes
  • I use baby wet wipes....sparkling every time.
  • Trainer whitener is great for making a white seat and handlebar tape look like new again
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon 2009
    Giant Defy 2010
  • dmch2
    dmch2 Posts: 731
    I use baby wet wipes....sparkling every time.

Enough about your backside, the OP was asking about their saddle! :)
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
    2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid
  • I asume some kind of faux leather, its the one that came with my Focus- a Concept SL saddle.
    Will give the baby wipes a go when i get in
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Anyone got a recommendation for a real leather saddle?

Mine was white a few months ago and now it's a murky grey colour :(
  • furrag
    furrag Posts: 481
    WD40 is supposed to be good for getting crap off of bartape and saddles. I've also seen fairy liquid mentioned too.
  • I use baby wet wipes....sparkling every time.

+1 I use them for everything, and it all comes up sparkly. Just check out my sparkly white trainers in a hop hop stylee.
  • dmch2
    dmch2 Posts: 731
    Some baby wipes have various moisturisers in them etc. They'll leave the frame greasy so make sure you get the ones that are just water based.
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
    2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid
  • Yep, sensitive skin ones only!
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    Try milton surface wipes. 100% biodegradable. Bleach free alcohol based cleaning.

Can you tell I'm a househusband? :lol:
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • Have I stumbled into the wrong forum, I thought this was for tough roadies :lol: !
  • Does it have a brown skid mark? :wink:
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • Vodka
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Vodka

That might help.

What do you do after drinking the vodka? :twisted:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • EdB999 wrote:
    After my roadside puncture repair(s) my saddle is looking a bit grimmey and has some oil/greese stains on it :( any ideas on how to go about getting these out?

How did you manage to get oil and grease on your saddle when just repairing a puncture? Surely you didn't turn your bike upside down when taking out the wheels? :oops:
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Try Muc Off.
  • lemon63
    lemon63 Posts: 253
    How did you manage to get oil and grease on your saddle when just repairing a puncture? Surely you didn't turn your bike upside down when taking out the wheels?

I also got my wrist slapped when I asked a similar question about keeping my white saddle clean when fixing a puncture, I'm a silly noob apparantly :D