what mini pump to buy?

illianceblock
illianceblock Posts: 5
edited September 2010 in Road beginners
as per previous post , i am trying to put together a decent lightweight repair kit that i can cram into the smallest saddlebag possible.

but, what pump to buy!? there is such a huge range of options, all i want is something small that can get me up to 100psi (realistically) even if it takes a while.

Comments

• Wiggle have offer for carbon pump, and what's wrong with fitting it to bottle cage mounts?
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • sundog
    sundog Posts: 243
    I've not seen any Pro's do that?
    I like white bikes
  • Dmak
    Dmak Posts: 445
    sundog wrote:
    I've not seen any Pro's do that?

Maybe something to do with a support vehicle?
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Some mini pumps were reviewed in a cycling mag earlier in the year.

Their winner was the Giant Control Mini 2 can get to 107 psi and weighs 166g

however smaller and lighter is their runner up

Topeak micro rocket ALT can get 98.7psi and weighs 74g - its smaller too at 20cm long.
  • From recent experience I wouldn't recommend any of the Topeak ones, in fact I would steer away from the press on style entirely - this comes from a history of broken valves and total inability to get over 75 psi.

I bought a Lezyne mico pump, which I carry in my jersey pocket - it is slightly longer but it is really powerful and has an 'old fashioned' rubber hose that screws onto the valve. I consider it one of my cheapest and best upgrades. I found with mini pumps that it was OK to help me limp home mid way through a ride, but the Lezyne allows me to continue. Coupled with the Crank Brothers Speed lever and it has made puncturing a less frustrating experience

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Lezyne-Micro-Floor-Drive-HPG-Hand-pump_26275.htm?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Have a Topeak micro pocket rocket and can't fault it.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    +1 for the Lezyne.
  • I've got a Topeak Road Morph (or something like that) and it's fantastic. Pretty much effortless to get to 120 psi, more than that and it gets a bit tougher. However you probably wouldn't call in a micro/mini pump but personally I hate only being able to get 90-100psi in the tyres after a puncture out on the road...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • I use the Topeak mini pocket rockets and find they tick all the boxes, they are slightly longer than the micros which is easier when you need to use it. they do fit in a pocket but i'm not sure how many of us really need worry about the drag of a frame mounted mini pump! I've had no trouble easily and quickly ( < 1 min) getting rock solid psi to carry on a ride rather than limp home, they are lightweight (100g) and excellent value against other mini pumps. They get my vote.
  • yogi
    yogi Posts: 456
    There's only one choice in my book and it's the Lezyne.

I have to confess that as yet I don't actual own one! Whenever I'm riding with the club and someone gets a punture we ask, "Ok, whose got a Lezyne?" Someone always has one and they are by far the best mini pump, which ever version you go for.
  • I have just bought a CO2 inflater on line for £20 including 10 spare cartridges (50p each rather than £2 each at Evans).

Tried it out for the first time this morning and was amazed at just how fast it pumped up my 700c x 23 tyre. Easily controllable and over 100psi no problems from one cartridge.

I have yet to find a mini pump that I do not have to top off later when I can access a track pump.

And on top of that it's tiny.

Very impressed.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Got a lezyne too :lol: Very happy.
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    Butterd2 wrote:
    I have just bought a CO2 inflater on line for £20 including 10 spare cartridges (50p each rather than £2 each at Evans).

Tried it out for the first time this morning and was amazed at just how fast it pumped up my 700c x 23 tyre. Easily controllable and over 100psi no problems from one cartridge.

I have yet to find a mini pump that I do not have to top off later when I can access a track pump.

Very impressed.

+1

Keep a spare cartridge inside the handle, also tape a cartridge to each spare tube i carry, just don't let your mates know about it, the lazy gets always want to use it instead of their pumps. :wink:
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Just bought a Lezyne that's small enough to bolt under the bottle cage without intefering with my pedalling. Previously I've carried a mini pump that had to have a Presta adapted and was too bulky to bolt to the bike. It was also taking up too much room in the jersey pocket. I've also used Co2 mini pumps but I didn't find them particularly good. The Lezyne with it's hose section hidden inside the tube seems to be just the tool for the job.

Top Features of the Lezyne Road Drive Mini Pump
    Replaces the traditional frame pump
    100% CNC-machined aluminum construction
    Inflates to riding pressure with 20% fewer strokes than conventional pumps
    Noise and vibration-free CNC-machined aluminum bracket
    Presta only; 160psi/11 bar max
    Medium - 90g, Large - 106g
    Colours; Black, Silver and White
    Valve type: Presta
    Replaces the traditional frame pump and gives 20% more pumping power than most common frame pumps.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • sundog
    sundog Posts: 243
    Aldi still have a few left @ £4.

I've got one as a spare and it looks pretty good.
    I like white bikes
  • doyler78
    Much as I like my Lezyne I would be interested to know if you tested those claims philthy3?

I can't see me getting 160psi. I have got up to around 85-90psi and things started getting tougher from there but I didn't need to go any higher so stopped but I wouldn't like to be trying to get to 160psi with it. Maybe I'm underestimating its powers.
  • Topeak Mini-G Master Blaster for me. Gets to 120psi easy.
  • doyler78 wrote:
    Much as I like my Lezyne I would be interested to know if you tested those claims philthy3?

I can't see me getting 160psi. I have got up to around 85-90psi and things started getting tougher from there but I didn't need to go any higher so stopped but I wouldn't like to be trying to get to 160psi with it. Maybe I'm underestimating its powers.

Depends which Lezyne - the one I have only goes up to 120psi - the 160psi one is a newer model. I think they're a great pump and I don't run my tyres over 100psi anyway so the one I have is fine - if I was buying again I would go for the Road Drive that can get you higher pressure.
    My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/
  • doyler78
    ScottieP wrote:
    doyler78 wrote:

Depends which Lezyne - the one I have only goes up to 120psi - the 160psi one is a newer model. I think they're a great pump and I don't run my tyres over 100psi anyway so the one I have is fine - if I was buying again I would go for the Road Drive that can get you higher pressure.

Ah right that might explain in then. Mine is a RoadDrive Medium from memory and it's at least a year old probably nearer two.
  • Butterd2 wrote:
    I have just bought a CO2 inflater on line for £20 including 10 spare cartridges (50p each rather than £2 each at Evans).

Very impressed.

Do you have a link to the one you got please? I'm struggling to fit a pump in my saddle bag.

Thanks.
  • Lezyne for me. Road drive medium - I reckon 100-110 psi is pretty easily achievable - mine is about 18 months old.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.