MickTup
MickTup Posts: 159
edited September 2010 in Workshop
I've heard these wear quick and are noisy any experiences before I invest

Comments

• Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    mine is light, and functions well.

just expensive, so £ per mile is a lot. The 1070 is a cheaper bet, and you wont lose much in terms of weight and performance.

I don't think I'd justify the price to replace mine when it wears and will move to 1070, but this is nothing to do with performance.
  • MickTup
    Scrumple

Reason I ask is considering new build with sram red how have you found it??
  • Scrumple
    Fantastic.
    I have full red, and it is smooth as.... Got the whole groupset as a deal.

I have Force on my Ti and it isn't that different. I'd mix and match when it comes to replacing, but only the chain / cassette. There are loads of Red deals that add lesser combinations in to reduce price. The brakes / shifters / chainset / rear mech are the main items.

Consider a mix on front mech, and cassette/chain.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    If you have a choice - stick with the 1070 cassette. Works just as well and will last longer and run quieter. Even a lot of the pros use it over the 1090 cassettes.

I keep my 1090 cassettes for my race wheels (run Sram Red on all my bikes). My day to day wheels have the 1070 cassettes.
  • My SRAM Force has been really sweet, so I imagine RED is much the same. Ive not found it noisy at all.
  • MickTup
    Cheers all think you've confirmed it for me after seeing the new Capag 2011 prices RED it is
  • Being hollow the 1090 is noisier than the 1070 cassette, but only really noticeable when changing gear as the sound reverberates inside the cassette. The shifting is spot on and it is super light.

As other posters have said though, I keep the 1090 cassette for my race wheels and use 1070 cassette on all of my other wheels. There isn't much difference and I'm happier to replace a £50 cassette than I am a £160 cassette!
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I use 1080 and like it a lot
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I ran a Red cassette for a while but found it noisy/clicky and the shifting wasn't that good either. Swapped it for a DA which was a tad heavier but better functionally.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Pokerface
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    I use 1080 and like it a lot

Errr - what is a 1080? AFAIK - there is only 1070 and 1090
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    :oops: :oops: yes, it is a 1070.

It works well.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    very noisey had mine for a while sold it on ebay could not stand the tin sound
    coming from it.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • Scrumple
    ride harder, and faster, then you wont hear it.

deary me.
  • Pokerface
    Scrumple wrote:
    ride harder, and faster, then you wont hear it.

deary me.

So very wrong Scrumpie.