Riding with knee injury

focusrider
focusrider Posts: 47
edited September 2010 in Health, fitness & training
Came off bike at Haldon a few weeks ago and bloodied up knee a bit, nothing broken but hobbled around for a week. Seemed better the next weekend during Brecon Beast 100Km but gave me a lot of pain after about 60km causing me to have to slow down and walk up climbs (particularly when putting pressure down on left pedal). Newnham 60 this weekend and I dont want to pull out as only minimal pain on training rides at around 10km plus so far.

Would be grateful for any tips, ideas or solutions for getting through the race or prep I can be doing now. Thanks

Comments

• pull out, racing injured is sucky.

Go see a sports physio to have it assessed for any issues.
  • What he said. No good riding on it too early as you'll do more harm than good. Hopefully it's a case of keep stretching the muscles around it to keep the pressure off the knee joint and try single legged squats ( as deep as is not painful) and basically if there is any pain. Don't do it! Knees take time to heal usually due to there being lots to go wrong in there and minimal blood supply to various parts to help with the healing process
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Walk - keeps everything moving, blood flowing and minimal stress on the joint. Stop if it hurts.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    1) Never take medical advice off the internet
    2) Unless it's "seek proper medical advice"

Seek proper medical advice.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    Northwind wrote:
    1) Never take medical advice off the internet
    2) Unless it's "seek proper medical advice"

Seek proper medical advice.
    That's good advice.
    Unless it's for some really embarrasing thing, then share with us.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • thanks for all the sensible advice but.......I am going to give it a go and see if it holds out. Not sure whether to be proactive and mix co-dydramol & Ibuprofen in with gels before knee starts to give me jip or wait till it starts to cause pain and maybe carry an ice spray.

What do pro's do? Surely they only pull out if they are convinced that the injury wont hold out for the race
  • cooldad
    Pro's get paid to suffer.
    They also have team doctors.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    focusrider wrote:
    What do pro's do? Surely they only pull out if they are convinced that the injury wont hold out for the race

They seek proper medical advice.

OK, I will give advice here, knees are pretty delicate and hardworking joints and you need them for riding and walking and such. So as a rule it's unwise to f**k with them. Some knee injuries benefit from total rest, some from light exercise, very few benefit from really hard work and it's perfectly possible you'll do yourself further injury if it's the sort that wants resting. So seek proper medical advice.

Trust one who knows, you don't want to mess up a knee.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad wrote:
    Pro's get paid to suffer.
    They also have team doctors.

And the team doctors give them all their drugs too!!