Commuter mountain bike?

Richtea70
Richtea70 Posts: 107
edited September 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi,

Learnt loads from this forum so far, and would like to offically say hello.

I am quite a keen cyclist, but not to the extreme. I currently commute to work (12 mile road trip) on a daily basis on a hybrid bike (Carrera Subway 2). However over the last few weeks I've cleared out a few of the old family bikes (mainly kids) and come across my old mountain bike, which I probably only used once or twice when I bought it.

Unfortunately its a halfords special (didn't know any better!), an Apollo XC56 SE hardtail which is about 4 years old. Rather than selling it, I quite liked the feel of having suspension forks for a change and took it out to the local woods for a ride. Anyway 4 weeks on i've been round the trails 4 or 5 times a week since on the Apollo and really enjoy it, which brings me to my dilema.

I'm know wondering if I should sell both the mountain bike and the Subway to buy just 1 bike for both commuting and off roading? Is there a good bike (£400'ish) which would do the job of both these bikes?

My other train of thought is that I just stick with the Halfords bike until it breaks, saving up in the mean time. To be totally honest I havent had any issues with the Apollo but I am going over bigger bumps every time I go out and wonder what will break first? Is there anything in particular that will break on these cheaper bikes?
Any thoughts or advice will be greatfully recieved,
Thanks,
Rich
GT Idrive
Trek 6300
GT Chucker

Comments

• chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    A little out of your budget, but the Carrera Fury is what I use for everything. I ride absolutely everywhere on it. Takes me to and from the shops during the week, out on the country lanes in the evenings, and then down mountains at the weekend.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you are enjoying yourself, might as well use it until it breaks or your needs outstrip it's capabilities.
    Another option is second hand.
    Not sure if your trip is 12 miles one way or round trip, but if the former, that's a long way on knobblies.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Andy!
    Andy! Posts: 433
    I'd keep one bike with road tyres for the commute. That way you have a backup.

tbh they will probably be worth more to you than what you will get for them but my choice would be get rid of the apollo now before it falls apart and get something better like the Fury
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i built up a specialized hardrock frame and bought parts to upgrade. but a spesh hardrock with semi slicks might be an option? you can get one second hand for about £200 :D
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    I'd also keep your commuter bike (riding offroad tyres on the road is a drag) and concentrate on getting yourself something good for the offroad fun, much better to have something focused than compromised.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • i bought a carrera vulcan disc spec for about £250 ish, then upgraded the brakes to hydraulics, rather than the mehcanical disc brakes for £100 (bought off ebay).

perfectly happy with it. gonna be a while before i need anything else tbh, used it to commute along towpaths and weekend rides.
  • Thanks for all the really useful replies, they are appreciated.

Taking everything into account I think I will keep the commuter (the Subway 2) and maybe keep an eye open on the classified/auction sites for a second hand bargain to go on the wood trails with.

I think that despite the Carrera being a better bike, I still like the Apollo as it is being used for leisure time, and I'm really enjoying the off road stuff. Having said that I've not really had anything to compare it to quality wise, and so probably dont realise what a 'dog' it is !!

Thanks again,
    Rich.
    GT Idrive
    Trek 6300
    GT Chucker
  • Andy!
    Andy! Posts: 433
    I think you are making the right choice.