Stans ZTR rims and rim strips

boomdocker
boomdocker Posts: 120
edited September 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm sure this has probably been asked before but here goes;

I have ztr355 rims. Is it always neccessary to run a rim strip when using non-UST tyres or can you get away with just the rim tape.

If so, with which tyres?

Comments

• you need the strip as it has the valve!
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Yellow tape and valve method. Rim strips are to convert non tubeless rims to tubeless.
  • Hitby
    Hitby Posts: 218
    As Stu said you DON'T need rim strips with ZTR rims.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You can just use the yellow tape and a valve, however the rim strips do make tyre inflation easier. I used to use rim strips on Olympics and anything would go up straight away, now just using yellow tape and it's more of a faff, the tyre retreats down the well in the centre of the rim rather readily.

If you're changing tyres a lot I'd consider rim strips myself.
  • thanks guys.

any recommendations for non-UST tyres that you have found easy to inflate/seat using only the yellow tape?
  • Hitby
    I'm using Nobby Nics (non UST) at the moment, one went up straight away, the other went up with a CO2 boost. One of the easiest I've installed
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Schwalbe work better than anything else IME. Cheapest from Germany.
  • Whilst we are on this subject. Not a hijack as its the same question really

I have just purchased some ZTR Olympis rims. I want to run them tubeless.

So, is it just a case of:

A) removing the rimtape (standard) that is on there

B) installing the Stans Olumpic rim tape and valve.

C) obtaining some UST tyres.

D) Fitting tyres and pumping up.

Do I need sealant? This is the area where I get confuzed.

Ta
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Yellow tape and valve is all you need Mr Cheese..ust/tubeless ready tyres and sealant for proper method.
  • Hitby
    Where did you buy them from Cheese? I got my ZTR flows from justridingalong and they came with yellow tape and valves fitted. You don't have to use UST tyres, in fact, I never have because of the added expense. I do put Stan's sealant in though and so far I've never had a puncture
  • Hitby wrote:
    Where did you buy them from Cheese? I got my ZTR flows from justridingalong and they came with yellow tape and valves fitted. You don't have to use UST tyres, in fact, I never have because of the added expense. I do put Stan's sealant in though and so far I've never had a puncture

A custom build from merlin cycles (Hope Pro II on ZTR Olympic) no valves or anything with them...

Have heard of the yellow tape. But what are these for? Seem an easier install for me, granted, more cost but.... would it be better

THESE

stansinnertubeprestabla.jpg
  • Hitby
    I've got a set of the Stan's rim strips in my cupboard. I couldn't get them in tight enough (nor could the LBS) so they're not getting used. The yellow tape went in much simpler.

Your mileage may vary though!
  • Hitby wrote:
    I've got a set of the Stan's rim strips in my cupboard. I couldn't get them in tight enough (nor could the LBS) so they're not getting used. The yellow tape went in much simpler.

Your mileage may vary though!

Whats the process of the yellow tape and installation of the valve..?

Got any linkys?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I use the Specialized rim strip, I was told it's better than the yellow stan's strip. Don't know if that's true.

That plus a screw in valve and some stan's fluid with non-UST maxxis Crossmarks and they loose less air than inner tubed tyres.

I know this is a fact because (for reasons I won't go in to) I have a tubeless system up front and a inner tube in the rear. The rear needs topping up with air more often than the front.

Just one little tip, when you get the valves, just nip the valve core inner up tight with a pair of needle-nose pliers. It can get a bit gummed up with fluid and when you go to unscrew the valve cap it unscrew the valve core at the same time and tyre goes flat rather quick. I was advised to do this, I didn't and it happened to me.