Oh, hello again!

sarajoy
sarajoy Posts: 1,675
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
Got a text from redvee some days (weeks..?) back - afraid I've not been keeping up with the cycling so much, had too much to do and I'm now out of the job that had the lovely bike shed and showers.

Did you guys have a good night out? Did you set a Christmas do date?

I have started to run, to keep my exercise levels up as dancing alone isn't enough. Ran a 5k charity race in aid of prostate cancer on Sunday, it took me a rather slow 35mins to complete it - but crucially I didn't stop to walk, and for that I'm pretty pleased with myself!

Other good news, I wasn't pushed out of my job; I chose to leave to pursue a teaching career - so here I am, 2 days into a Secondary Science (Phys) PGCE at Bristol Uni - currently it's all inductions and registration still, so not stress yet :)

Just thought I'd let you all know how I'm getting on - as a good year and a half ago, this forum answered wonderfully (and honestly) to a thread I started asking about teaching as a profession.

Hope to get back into commuting one day - but I daresay it won't be until after the PGCE when I've settled into a permanent role in a school and can actually have my own classroom etc. in which to stash stuff....
4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif

Comments

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Good luck with the PGCE! Lots of lesson plans & teaching practice ahead. :D
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Good luck with it and hope you enjoy it (as much as you can in assignment/lesson planning hell near the end!)

I work at another University on the PGCE Secondary course and handling the madness of first week students at present so get to see it from the other side.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Children yuk! Students yuk! Running double yuk!

So this new job of yours, will there be uniforms ...?

:roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • sarajoy
    Uniforms on children, yes. You like them under-age, eh?
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Sixth formers are all good!

(By which I mean not under age, rather than a target for any predatory instincts I may or may not have.)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    PGCE at Bristol? I used to live in a house that backed onto the PGCE college. Has it still got a tennis court?
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • sarajoy
    Wrath Rob - dunno? As far as I know the PGCEs are just part of the Grad school, which is in Berkeley Sq, certainly haven't been told about tennis courts....
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Twas only 8 days ago and no the others haven't came forward with anything for xmas get together yet,

BTW the roads around Filton airfield are smooth new tarmac, I thnk they were waiting for you to finish in AW before they started resurfacing.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I was terribly terribly drunk
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    itboffin wrote:
    I was terribly terribly drunk
    0.jpg
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Well done you, seems to be going well!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    School kids *shudder*

Good luck with the new career (you may need it :wink: )
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    So Sarajoy, as much as I commend you for running which is my main activity, are there no bike racks at your place of learning? No disabled loos for clothes changeover? Surely these are minor problems to overcome compared to getting a bunch of hoodlums* to behave in the class? :):wink:

*these do not include my numerous nephews/nieces still in education. They, of course, are God's angels :twisted:
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    PGCE at Bristol? I used to live in a house that backed onto the PGCE college. Has it still got a tennis court?

You might be thinking of the old UWE teacher training campus which was based in Redland until a few years ago and IIRC, had tennis courts nearby?

SJ - so will you be joining us again or are you now permanently busy?
    Rules are for fools.
  • sarajoy
    Cafewanda wrote:
    So Sarajoy, as much as I commend you for running which is my main activity, are there no bike racks at your place of learning? No disabled loos for clothes changeover? Surely these are minor problems to overcome compared to getting a bunch of hoodlums* to behave in the class? :):wink:
    There might be, not been told which schools I shall be visiting yet. And Bristol Uni itself is on my doorstep - cycling would be a wasted effort of locks and bag-faffing and SPD shoes and whatever else, when I can just walk for 20 minutes instead!

I have no idea yet quite how much paperwork I shall have to shift from home to school on a daily basis, /and/ crucially, uni knows I have a car. So I'm likely to be commuting some way and taking passengers - but this seems preferable to being posted somewhere so far away I'd need to take up residence in a B&B or similar...
    Waddlie wrote:
    SJ - so will you be joining us again or are you now permanently busy?
    I'd dearly love to. But I can't promise anything unfortunately. I think it's going to take me a while to get over the shock of how much work I'll need to get done in my own time - and by the time I'm over that I'll probably be in Spring Term where basically I shall be a teacher somewhere. Eeeeeeekkkk.