The Race Reports Thread 2010

12346»

Comments

• Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    edited September 2010
    Dulcie Walker Road Race 3/4

My late season assault at Road Racing continued this morning with the Dulcie Walker 3/4 Road Race. Set in Great Milton, Oxfordshire the 15mile circuit is best described as a ‘gentle-roller’; most notable features: a selective draggy climb (long enough to shake off fat-boy sprinter types; short enough so they could get back, on the descent); a pooh splattered country back road and an energy sapping head-winded A road.

A slow start for the bunch, in fact so slow that I don’t think I even engaged 53/19 for the first few miles. After we’d circumnavigated the course for the first lap I headed up front just to see what was going on. Willesden, Kenton RC and Quest and a team in a disgusting looking blue, white and yellow kit all had significant numbers. Des (Kenton RC) was one of the first to test his legs. Once Des was brought back a little later another Kenton RC was off and away. I’d promised myself to remain disciplined today and to stop mindlessly jumping out of the bunch to join or create feeble breakaways.

Well… rules are made to be broken. I sat 2nd wheel and watched as the same Kenton RC guy dangled out front. I can’t quite remember what Des said to me but I was suddenly in pursuit of his Kenton team mate. Bridging across was surprisingly comfortable and naively perhaps I went straight to the front and clicked the gears up to 53/15. A 3rd person jumped across which was encouraging. Clearly others felt we stood a chance because the group soon doubled in size and we were quickly into breakaway mode. Freedom…Yeah! Er…No a bit too early – sshit some people hadn’t even swallowed their first gels yet! :roll:

On the 2nd time up the main climb a bunch of sneaky so and so’s had transported themselves some 40 metres away. From mid-pack I was playing a game of I spy on who was missing from the bunch - the strong guy in black, check; the strong Quest guy, check; the strong Phoenix guy, check etc. “Oh No, I wanna be with them”. As things flattened out myself, Mark, Des and others began chasing the 8/9 escapees. They were already working well and pulling them back was proving difficult. Lots of hard anaerobic efforts; lots of taking turns between our chase group – getting close but not close enough. As we temporarily spilt up Des came by with reinforcements and all 3 made it across. I on the other hand was perched on my lonesome and 10 metres off the back of the group. A more composed person would perhaps have worked with others – not me I like to do things the hard way. :twisted:

After what was probably 10 minutes of chasing I was on. As you do I sat in for a few minutes while this very fast moving ‘thru and off’ enough carried me along. So that was pretty much ‘game over’ for the rest of the bunch. I was told our 12-13 man group remained around 45sec to a minute ahead of the rest. For more than an hour we all worked well. LVRC Champ Paul Doel (Team Quest) often called the shots in terms how to rotate into the wind. On the bell lap things got a bit ragged and group dynamic went a AWOL. I tried a few times to jump away; gaps were briefly gained but couldn’t be maintained. I got into a good position for the sprint and watched the real sprinters jump; nice. :twisted: I pushed the hardest gear in the saddle possible and managed a pleasing 6th or 7th. I’ll perhaps do one more race and that will be it. With a good winters training and average 10-12 hours including long rides I’ll try and get that 2nd cat license again.
  • Toks
    jibberjim wrote:
    Good team result with 3 wheelers in the top 10...
    Also well done, Rob Jefferies (London Dynamo) I hear he came 2nd today :D
  • Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    Well Toks pretty much described the race spot on. We had our strongest team out for years it would seem, and we decided to attack in rotation until something stuck and a group formed with hopefully at least two of us in it. Hence my encouragement to Toks to join my team mate up the road and give him a bit of freedom. Almost unfortunately for Toks the move that stayed away, we both missed, although again one of my team mates was the catalyst. The chase over the hill was brutal, the descent was even harder in tying to close the gap. TOks and Paul Doel hit the front as turned onto the A40 and if they had not both done a really hard turn at that point we would not have made contact with the break.l Toks put so much effort into that he missed my wheel as we went past and only just made contact a little later. The group worked well until the bell when someone let a gap go and 3 riders including my team ate were suddenly off the front. Riders were looking to me to chase - as if. Unfortunately that did disrupt the dynamic a little and soon the assistant comms car overtook us to signal the bunch were now ~ 30 secs back. A nucleus of the older guys in the group then picked up the pace and the rotation to keep the gap, mainly Paul Doel, Brendan and Toks, and a few passengers sat on the back.

Approaching the finish one of the passengers jumped at ~ 500M and I reacted then went past, unfortunately this was too early for the uphill headwind finish and James Foster (Team Quest) surge past then also faded and two of the younger riders went on to claim 1st and 2nd leaving James with 3rd. I held on to 5th getting pipped by Brendan (my team mate) on the line.

A great event, especially for th eorganisers first stab at promoting. Well done to the Willesden.
  • Toks
    Well done, on 4th spot Des. You were definitley one of the strongest riders yesterday. Good luck in that Spanish Stage Race :D
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Toks wrote:
    jibberjim wrote:
    Good team result with 3 wheelers in the top 10...
    Also well done, Rob Jefferies (London Dynamo) I hear he came 2nd today :D

He was certainly very strong in the break, if only he'd post his power stats! He was pleased to hear the wheelers had 3 back still in the bunch blocking, and I was kind of embarrassed upon my return to the bunch to find only one other wheeler left back there. And him in his first ever road race and far from blocking was off on the occasional attack...
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Dess1e wrote:

Approaching the finish one of the passengers jumped at ~ 500M .

Such harsh words. A cycle race is full of high & lows, with every rider having an indiviual story to tell.

Ok my view.

This my first year back racing & cycling in 6 years, to note its my first year racing in the UK actually. BCF kindly gave me 3rd cat license, as with the birth of my child this year it been very hard to find the time to train or even race consistently for that matter.

Ok to the race. A crisp Autum morning in picturesque Oxfordshire .

The race started off nice and gently, with a few half hearted attacks into the wind . It wasnt till the 2nd time up the hill did things get interesting. I bridged across to a small group just dangling off the front of the bunch, at this point the break was not riding hard enough to snap the elsatic to the bunch. It need some encouragment , as the riders were all ready settling down as if they were 3 mins ahead. So a few hard pulls and a bit of shouting and the break got moving.

Oh also This "passenger " :wink: was glad to show the riders the correct way to rotate into the wind. I think I got a thanks.

So last lap came , I was running on fumes, not fit enough, not enough training. So yea I sat on, Passenger is such a harsh term, but we have to play best we can we the cards we have. And my hand was pretty poor on that last lap. No legs, not even on a team

Really looking back, the split on the last time up the climb, it should have been game over for the riders who didnt make it across, but I was stuffed. The head knows what to do, but the legs werent listening.

So 1 km, do or die time ...

Ah how our bodies betray us, As soon as I passed the break with 500m to go, my lack of fitness came crashing home, with a vicous hamstring cramp. It was over, I hung my head as the break came by me, grimacing as I tried to streach out my leg.

So to sum up, very enjoyable, really well run, race. I enjoyed it , apart from the last 500m ofcourse.

Well done to all who rode and roll on 2011.
  • Toks
    edited September 2010
    puncher wrote:
    Dess1e wrote:

Approaching the finish one of the passengers jumped at ~ 500M .

Such harsh words. A cycle race is full of high & lows, with every rider having an indiviual story to tell.

Ok my view.

So to sum up, very enjoyable, really well run, race. I enjoyed it , apart from the last 500m ofcourse.

Well done to all who rode and roll on 2011.
    Hey I remember you, nice one mate, I was the skinny black guy in yellow. Des's comments are all part of the banter - when you provide your own biased account of a race you don't go pointing out how awfully nice everyone was especially the chap who correctly switched our rotation into the wind. :lol: I agree that you guys should've pulled away on the last time up that climb but I promise you it would've needed to be one incredibly sustained effort because peeps behind you were turning themselves inside out to bring you all back. Well done and see you on the road soon
  • Dess1e
    Sorry if you interpreted passenger as derogatory, I know people have different levals of fitness etc. From experiance though it doesn't take much to keep rotaing in the break, and causes less disrution. It was close back to the bunch at the end. BTW I was the rider who thanked you for calling the corect rotation with 2 laps to go :lol: Given the description above well done for getting to the end and stating the gallop. I should have waited thought as with that head wind it was way too soon.
  • Dess1e
    BTW anyone know what happened to the Bill Nickson rider? One second he was looking strong just after the bell the next he was looking at his gears and then disappeared :?
  • I was the Dynamo in the Rusper break. Would love to publish my power stats but my hub battery died - my best ever road race performance and I didn't get the file.

I know what it feels like to drop out of a winning break with a mechanical. You must have been absolutley gutted, especially as you had played such an instrumental part in setting up the move in the first place.

Chapeau as well to Andy Lack for bridging over- we were going at a fair pace so that was a good effort.
  • Oh I didnt take offence guys.

And the term "Passenger" accurately sums up how I was feeling.

All good.

Be safe on the dark roads over the winter, looking forward to seeing you all next year.
  • jibberjim
    rjeffroy wrote:
    I was the Dynamo in the Rusper break. Would love to publish my power stats but my hub battery died - my best ever road race performance and I didn't get the file.

So annoying, I mostly ride for data! You were actually my tip for the win when I returned to the bunch and started chatting.
    rjeffroy wrote:
    Chapeau as well to Andy Lack for bridging over- we were going at a fair pace so that was a good effort.

It was astonishing, he took ~40 seconds out of our group of seven in 15 minutes solo riding. I think we were all working in a good rotation and still pushing hard having only just got it established really. That 15 minutes while he was bridging I averaged over 300 watts as one of the 7, his effort must've been immense, always had a huge engine on him, a great team mate to have.
  • Dess1e wrote:
    BTW anyone know what happened to the Bill Nickson rider? One second he was looking strong just after the bell the next he was looking at his gears and then disappeared :?

Just as we were heading over the motorway (last lap) he unshipped his chain and he was frantically trying to hook it back on using the front mech. I told him to try hook it with his fingers but it was obviously difficult under the pressure because I think the bunch were already at around30 secs by then. Think he was the original rider that went with Brendan. I was the third rider (Python RT rider in black/blue) who bridged across to them just before clare hill :evil:. A quick remark from Brendan to me as to why the hell were were doing this! :lol: Good job we persevered! :D The penultimate time up clare hill I think was the point where I thought the bunch would give up chase and I think we did enough up there to keep out of sight. I'm just glad we made it to the chequered flag before the bunch and had something to show for our efforts - I was nailed on that last lap and didnt know if the others were as well or just bluffing.
  • Dess1e
    Was I alone in finding the descent of Clare Hill the hardest part of the course? Probably because I was either trying to bridge to the original move at that point, or trying to get back on after the climb :oops:

The Nickson lad was unlucky, he was looking striong, and I had him down as a rider to watch. As per Puncher's post in hindsight I don't think many were bluffing in the break, which seemed a lot smaller by the finish.
  • jibberjim wrote:
    rjeffroy wrote:
    I was the Dynamo in the Rusper break. Would love to publish my power stats but my hub battery died - my best ever road race performance and I didn't get the file.

So annoying, I mostly ride for data! You were actually my tip for the win when I returned to the bunch and started chatting.
    rjeffroy wrote:

It was astonishing, he took ~40 seconds out of our group of seven in 15 minutes solo riding. I think we were all working in a good rotation and still pushing hard having only just got it established really. That 15 minutes while he was bridging I averaged over 300 watts as one of the 7, his effort must've been immense, always had a huge engine on him, a great team mate to have.

Blimey - I'm blushing Jim! Don't visit this forum much - I should do more often, clearly...

I'm really not sure it was a full 15 minutes to bridge across, but it was certainly a massive effort to get across to you guys. All in all, a well matched, organised break which deserved to stay away I think. The Prologue guy that won is on the verge of 2nd cat, and so is the Addiscombe chap who came 3rd (Toby?), so it was no end of season race full of mediocre 3rd cats by any means.

Jim - so unlucky, but it will happen for you. After my last two top 10s, I'm only now realising how close I was before to a decent result. You really are only just the wrong side of a top result yourself. Maybe a little more selfishness and a clear head and you'll be there. But mainly, it;s just belief. I believed I was going to catch your break, so I did. 2 weeks ago, I'd have given it 5 minutes and decided it wasn;t worth it.

Rob - great riding all day, and a tidy finish. I was trying to come round you and the Addiscombe guy, but was absolutely shot...
  • jibberjim
    I'm really not sure it was a full 15 minutes to bridge across, but it was certainly a massive effort to get across to you guys. All in all, a well matched, organised break which deserved to stay away I think. The Prologue guy that won is on the verge of 2nd cat, and so is the Addiscombe chap who came 3rd (Toby?), so it was no end of season race full of mediocre 3rd cats by any means.

And don't forget I'm just 39 points away from my 3rd! Shame there weren't another 39 team trials in the year.

From where you said you attacked, to where I remember you joining the break was 15 minutes, if you send me your Garmin file I'll stick it in "Dot Racing" to see more exactly how and where you managed to make the bridge.
  • Hi Chaps - I'm new to posting on this forum and new to road racing.

The Dulcie Walker Cup on Sunday was my second race start and my first race finish. Did the Stafford GP the week before and got spoked, so DNF'd before half-way. I was the guy without a team top on the blue Principia.

I thought the Dulcie Walker race was awesome. Great to be in a proper break on my first attempt. I got in the selection of 4 the last time up Clare Hill but didn't have the balls to drive it from there. I'm finding I'm liking the hills in this game! I've had one proper group ride at pace and one chaingang coming into these races so I've got a lot to learn and develop.

The Bill Nickson guy did indeed ship his chain and said by the time he'd got it back on the bunch had gone past.

See you again at the races as I continue to get into it.
  • jibberjim
    I'm really not sure it was a full 15 minutes to bridge across, but it was certainly a massive effort to get across to you guys.

17 minutes it took you, solo to bridge up.
  • Toks
    Sun1400 wrote:
    Hi I thought the Dulcie Walker race was awesome. Great to be in a proper break on my first attempt. I got in the selection of 4 the last time up Clare Hill but didn't have the balls to drive it from there. I'm finding I'm liking the hills in this game! I've had one proper group ride at pace and one chaingang coming into these races so I've got a lot to learn and develop.
    Welcome aboard, you clearly possess the legs and the race savvy already - how did you place at the end?
    Dess1 wrote:
    Was I alone in finding the descent of Clare Hill the hardest part of the course?
    First time, in bunch tentative but ok, 2nd time - very stressful chasing break; 3rd time in break - not too bad; 4th time, chasing group of 4 and slightly more stressful. :twisted:
  • Toks wrote:
    Sun1400 wrote:
    Hi I thought the Dulcie Walker race was awesome. Great to be in a proper break on my first attempt. I got in the selection of 4 the last time up Clare Hill but didn't have the balls to drive it from there. I'm finding I'm liking the hills in this game! I've had one proper group ride at pace and one chaingang coming into these races so I've got a lot to learn and develop.
    Welcome aboard, you clearly possess the legs and the race savvy already - how did you place at the end?

Thanks Toks. I think I got 10th. I was cramping up after the final time up Clare Hill and anyway, have yet to develop a sprint worthy of the name!
  • rjeffroy
    rjeffroy Posts: 638
    Alfold 3rds 3rd Oct 2010

Forecast was for filthy weather and it did not disappoint.

After my surprise 2nd place at Rusper I need 7 points for my second cat, or a top 4 result. My useless sprint means that I have to get into that rarest of creatures - a break in a third cat race that sticks.

Plan is simple - sit in, do nothing for the first three quarters of the race, then attack when the contenders have exhausted themselves.

The plan goes out of the window as soon as the race starts.

Three guys jump immediately and are soon out of sight. The bunch doesn't respond - this always happens in a Surrey League 3rds race and they will soon be back. After about 20 minutes they are still out of sight and a ripple of unease passes through the bunch - maybe this break is serious? Someone jumps after them - we let him go. Then another - we let him go as well. Then a third goes - I can take no more and sprint for his wheel.

A chasing group of variously 4 to 6 forms and we get down to the serious business of bridging to the break. This is the hardest part part of the race and for ages we seem to make no impact on the lead. Finally, after about 30 minutes we reel them in and it is now a break of 9.

Not for long - now follows a period of brutal attrition as one by one the escapees are dropped or puncture. With each one that goes life becomes harder for the remainder until we are finally down to 3. We grind through the pouring rain - I sense that I am the weakest and make sure to take my turns so as to look stronger then I feel.

Coming to the finish cooperation breaks down and we sit up, playing for position for the sprint. No one wants to lead. Ever pessimistic I have visions of being swallowed by the pack as we mess around - how stupid would that be? I go to the front and take a long hard turn. It is the wrong thing to do. We have 2 minutes on the bunch and are nowhere near getting caught. Instead my break partners give me the jump with 200 meters to go and I have nothing to respond.

Never mind - I'm 3rd and finally get my 2nd cat licence, after 5 years trying.

And the numbers...
    Duration:     1:58:14
    TSS:          149.9 (intensity factor 0.872)
    Norm Power:   275
    VI:           1.13
    Distance:     75.846 km
                    Min    Max   Avg
    Power:            0   1043   243    watts
    Heart Rate:      85    179   166    bpm
    Speed:            0   59.2   38.4   kph

• jibberjim
    rjeffroy wrote:
    Alfold 3rds 3rd Oct 2010

Forecast was for filthy weather and it did not disappoint.

It was enough to decide me not to go, which sounds a shame! Sounds like a good race, and congrats on your 2nd cat! Which is actually annoying as I'll have to looking for new faces to decide who to follow in the 3rds next year.

I probably would've joined the ranks of punctures knowing my luck though.
  • Toks
    rjeffroy wrote:
    After my surprise 2nd place at Rusper I need 7 points for my second cat, or a top 4 result. My useless sprint means that I have to get into that rarest of creatures - a break in a third cat race that sticks.
    Stop makin stuff up Rob, 3rd cat breakaways nearly always stick :lol::lol:
    rjeffroy wrote:
    Plan is simple - sit in, do nothing for the first three quarters of the race, then attack when the contenders have exhausted themselves. The plan goes out of the window as soon as the race starts.
    Some annoyin so and so will always mess things up - Grr!!
    rjeffroy wrote:
    Never mind - I'm 3rd and finally get my 2nd cat licence, after 5 years trying.
    Awesome!! who cares how long it took you - you did it. :D Its amazin what a good placing here or there and some confidence can do. :wink: Well done, mate. Now what kinda of FT do ya reckon will help ya maintain 2nd cat status?
  • good ride..