best bike / value under 1k

Lewishoops
Lewishoops Posts: 27
edited September 2010 in Road beginners
Looking for my first road bike and would like your recommendations for bikes btwn 800-1k in both value and spec. Also what preference over shimano 105 and compag veloce. Any help or preferences would be welcome. thanks

Comments

• Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Boardman with SRAM rival.

I'd take veloce over 105 but thats down to a personal preference for campag over shimano.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • I was originally thinking of buying the Boardman team carbon as I already have a hybrid Boardman that has served me well. just recently though seen a few Boardmans out and about and was maybe hoping there was something else out there I had missed with similar spec.
  • Stuey01
    Ribble or planet X worth a look at that price point. Should get full carbon and pretty well spec'd
  • I too am looking for my first road bike of my own. I've been riding my dads '72 mystery bike, and I'm about to invest in a new bike of my own. I think I have narrowed it down between two bikes: A Trek 2.3 (Aluminum frame, Carbon fork, Shimano and Bontrager components); and a Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6 APEX (Full carbon frame and fork, Shimano, and SRAM APEX components). The Trek is about $1700, and the Cannondale is about $1800. Any suggestions?
  • Phate
    Phate Posts: 121
    Stuey01 wrote:
    Ribble or planet X worth a look at that price point. Should get full carbon and pretty well spec'd

Personally just about to opt for the Ribble Evo Pro, Full Carbon with SRAM Rival and a few upgraded bits and pieces coming in at pennies under the grand!

Just waiting on work to pull their finger out and finalise things with cyclescheme!

Have to say I'm probably going a bit ott for my first road bike but hey ho!
    exercise.png
  • Seems like most have gone for bikes with sram rival kit, this always seems to take you to pennies under 1k. How would you rate these bikes below, all in 800-865 bracket. or is it worth paying the extra and take the wife shopping to sweeten her up.

BIANCHI VIA NERONE 7 ALU 105 COMPACT = 825
    BIANCHI VIA NERONE 7 CARBON VELOCE = 865
    RALEIGH AIRLITE 400 = 799
  • Stuey01
    BIANCHI VIA NERONE 7 CARBON VELOCE = 865

I had the old version of this, it was nice. Not the lightest but was a decent bike.
  • Thanks Stuey guess I need to try a few bikes out and see for myself, trouble is I still have a long list and could take me from now till xmas in which time deals will be gone and all new ranges in. Thanks again and any other preferences/advice would be appreciated