Inner Tube/Tyre Issues

gary.hounsome
gary.hounsome Posts: 296
edited September 2010 in Workshop
I have had an issue recently on my rear wheel when i found a slow puncture.

My tyres are Kenda as are the inner tubes in question.

I removed the wheel and the inner tube and replaced with a previously used and repaired Kenda inner Tube. It all seemes well seated but when i pumped up i got to about 90psi and noticed the tyre was inflated more than normal (bulging all the way round) then heard a few pops.

I stopped pumping and let the tyre down again. Checked the tube seemed to have seated ok as before no tangles or anything. Tried this 3 or 4 times even with some talc but the same kept happening.

Admittedly the Kendas are not great and i have some Gator skins on order, but luckily found an old Panaracer tyre laying around so i used that instead.

This time i did pump to the required 115psi but there was a little pop towards the end.

It seems ok but the pop doesnt convince me so will be changing both front and back for my continentals and inner tubes.

Not had this problem before so can only assume the tubes dont like to be reused or theres a problem with the tyre?

One other question, is it worth changing the rim tape?

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    A tube is a pretty basic thing. They have no real structure of their own, so it's not as if they can take a 'set' or anything like that.

It could be a couple of things. The tyre bead might not be properly seated when you start inflating the tube, and the tube is pushing the bead under the rim hook. Or it could actually be the spokes pinging as the stress on the rim changes (more likely if the wheel is very new). If the tube holds pressure over night then I wouldn't worry about it too much, as long as the tyre appears to be correctly seated on the rim once it has reached pressure.

You should fit the tyre and tube with the tube partially inflated to avoid getting any twists or pinching of the tube.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • sounds like the tyre bead seating on the rim.
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    sounds like the tyre bead seating on the rim.

+1

To get the tyre to sit correctly once you have the tyre on and before you start to inflate it, work your way round pinching the two sides of the tyre together. This should get thre tyre to seat correctly on the rim and stop the popping.
  • hugo15 wrote:
    sounds like the tyre bead seating on the rim.

+1

To get the tyre to sit correctly once you have the tyre on and before you start to inflate it, work your way round pinching the two sides of the tyre together. This should get thre tyre to seat correctly on the rim and stop the popping.

Will try this to experiment with the kendas when i mess about on friday swapping them for the continentals.

''If the tube holds pressure over night then I wouldn't worry about it too much, as long as the tyre appears to be correctly seated on the rim once it has reached pressure.''

The tube holds pressure but the tyre looks like its bulging all the way around and thats only at 90psi. Strange thing is the tyre looks well seated but will try as above by pinching the two sides together.
  • One other question, is it worth changing the rim tape?

Yes. Shitty rim tape can ruin your day.
  • One other question, is it worth changing the rim tape?

Yes. Shitty rim tape can ruin your day.

What does a decent rim tape offer? Would the continental tape do the trick?
  • Spoke protection, protection from sharp valve holes. But most importantly, it doesn't move about. Some plastic tape (most are mounted without glue) has a tendency to slide about, sideways, exposing the sharp spoke holes underneath, then BANG!

The best is cloth tape if you ask me... it stays put and is thick enough to offer significant protection...