Hi and a little help needed

cycle.monkey
cycle.monkey Posts: 23
edited September 2010 in Road beginners
Hi all

I'm new to road riding and this forum, so please be gentle lol

I have been riding a mountain bike with slicks on for a little while, but picked up my first roady bike yesterday. Took it out for a quick 15 mile blast this morning and bloomin love it. So much better using the proper tool for the job.

I started riding to lose weight and get fit. The problem I am having tho is that when I get back from a ride I just want to eat everything in site. Cant help it, I need fuel. Needless to say i am eating all the wrong food as i dont know what i should be eating. So could someone please let me know what I should eat after a ride to refuel my body and stop my cravings so I dont pack calories back into my body, or else I'll be a fat bloke forever haha.

Hope this makes sense. :?

Hope to speak to some of you soon.

Mick ;)

Comments

• Most plans say you need a certain amount of simple carbs within 15 mins of finish. This gives your body what it needs. Then in about an hour a balanced carb/protien meal. Being the informed disorganised duffer i am, I find the initial fuel gets missed (cat gets fed though!) and I scram too much too late. In the past I have done it right and lost some weight as opposed to falling into "You're starving me!" mode
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • cycle.monkey cant really ofter any advice as i know exactly how you feel. came back from my first ride yesterday & had a bananna & apple straight away, 20 minutes later i was raiding the biscuit tin. never going to loose weight at this rate.
    Definatly interested to see what replies you get.
    spesh allez sport triple 2010, boardman team hybrid, planet x procarbon, tern link p24
  • Most plans say you need a certain amount of simple carbs within 15 mins of finish. This gives your body what it needs. Then in about an hour a balanced carb/protien meal. Being the informed disorganised duffer i am, I find the initial fuel gets missed (cat gets fed though!) and I scram too much too late. In the past I have done it right and lost some weight as opposed to falling into "You're starving me!" mode

Cheers for the reply. Do you know what foods are best for simply carbs and how much I should have?? not sure I could last a hour before I eat again lol I am like a shark that smells blood in the cupboard. Sarnies and pastries are my downfall :(
    ukhornet wrote:
    cycle.monkey cant really ofter any advice as i know exactly how you feel. came back from my first ride yesterday & had a bananna & apple straight away, 20 minutes later i was raiding the biscuit tin. never going to loose weight at this rate.
    Definatly interested to see what replies you get.

Its awful isnt it. I feel like I am actually doing something healthy for a change, and I'm on a high whilst riding, but by the time i have finished eating I'm gutted and feel like I've wasted my efforts, even though i have still had a nice trip out.
  • Hello Cycle Monkey.
    We all know that feeling way to well!!!
    Have you heard of recovery drinks? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/c/cycle/7/Energy~Recovery_Drink/

My personal Fav is this -- http://www.wiggle.co.uk/c/cycle/7/Energy~Recovery_Drink/

Mix it up beofre you go out and keep in fridge so nice and cold when you get back. The sweetness takes away the choc craving I used to get back from any long ride!!
    i normally have a banana or some other fruit as well with this and it suits me just fine. They also naturally do all the other jobs like help add recovery so no aches etc the next day!!
  • qwerty1982 wrote:
    Hello Cycle Monkey.
    We all know that feeling way to well!!!
    Have you heard of recovery drinks? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/c/cycle/7/Energy~Recovery_Drink/

My personal Fav is this -- http://www.wiggle.co.uk/c/cycle/7/Energy~Recovery_Drink/

Mix it up beofre you go out and keep in fridge so nice and cold when you get back. The sweetness takes away the choc craving I used to get back from any long ride!!
    i normally have a banana or some other fruit as well with this and it suits me just fine. They also naturally do all the other jobs like help add recovery so no aches etc the next day!!

aahhhhh recovery drinks sound like a good idea. Which is your fav? 2nd link same as first hehe. Are they high in calories?
    Cheers for replying ;)
  • DOH!!
    Should have been this link -- http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Science_in_Sport_Rego_Total_Recovery_16kg_Tub/5300001063/

Per 100g it is 314Kcal, so not too bad, but not great! But prob better than eating your house hehe

You mix with water but taste like a nice milkshake!
  • qwerty1982 wrote:
    DOH!!
    Should have been this link -- http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Science_in_Sport_Rego_Total_Recovery_16kg_Tub/5300001063/

Per 100g it is 314Kcal, so not too bad, but not great! But prob better than eating your house hehe

You mix with water but taste like a nice milkshake!

great cheers for that, will see if I can get some to try :wink:
  • NP mate, glad could help.
    Do you eat any thing while riding? I eat some home made flapjack while out and about, packed with nuts and fruit to give slow release energy, that helps as well!
  • qwerty1982 wrote:
    NP mate, glad could help.
    Do you eat any thing while riding? I eat some home made flapjack while out and about, packed with nuts and fruit to give slow release energy, that helps as well!

I havent been riding long, but I have been using lucozade powder to make drinks for my rides. When I first started out I didnt like drinking or anything whilst riding, and would have about 250ml over a 20 miles ride, needless to say it wasn't long before i made myself ill lol (always learn the hard way)

I did the 57 mile Great North bike ride a few weeks ago. I tried my first gel then (Lucozade sports gel) it was foul and made me feel sick for the following 6 miles lol. I taking with me Lucozade tablets/sweets and Lucozade Jellybeans with me sometimes, also sometimes I take cereal bars oh and bananas. Never leave home without my chewing gum lol. I usually have most the food I take with me left at the end of a ride and rely mainly on my drinks. Maybe thats my problem??? Worry incase I eat lots then need to hunt for loo haha

You gonna share ya recipe for flapjacks?? *wink wink* lol
  • Oh i see.
    Well every one is different. There are many on here who will do 100 miles on water and half a banana and then there are some who will drink loads of nrg drinks and gobble a gel every 15 miles. It is all about finding what suits you best and that includs what brands.
    I personally have found the lucoade products too sweet.
    I really like Torq drinks, they are not too sweet so easy on the stomach. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Torq_Energy_Powder_Drink_15kg_Tub/5360026376/
    Orange is the best!

For Gel's i use High5, not as gooey as some and great tasting!!
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/High5_Box_Of_20_38g_Energy_Gel_Plus_Sachets/5360024442/

And for fod except for my flapjack, i normally have a cliff bar
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Clif_Bar_Box_Of_15_x_50g_Bars/5360043462/

But how ofton and what is some thing your body will tell you. I normally always half the mixture in the drink, you dont need it as potent as the packe says. Gel's i normally only have if doing more than 60 miles and then onll one or 2.
    The flap jack i try to have one about 30 mins before my ride and then slowly eat one or 2 while riding around, depending on what mileage i plan to do. Staying hydrated is a massive must though, even if you dont feel thirsty you must drink. If you start yo feel thirsty its too late, that means your body is actually started to be de-hydrated.

My flapjack recipe is very simple --

250g Oats or Granola
    150g Low Fat Spread
    100g Honey.. more if you want it sticky n gooey
    Dried fruits: pick what ever you like, chopped dates, appricots, chopped apple figs, sultanas, raisons and currants! or if you are a pig have the whole lot :O) I do!!!
    choice of seeds: Seasame, Pumpkin, sunflower

Melt the spread and honey in the microwave or on the stove until hot.........

Add to the dried products and mix, if the mix looks too dry ad more honey and spread mix.

Press into a tray lined with grease proof paper

Cook in the oven for 25mins on 175C ...... if you want a crunchy version cook at a higher temp of 190C but just play by eye!!

Once done leave to cool, then cut t size. Store in air tight tub in fridge and will keep for an age!!! Wrap each bit in cling film so can store in jersey pockets on ya ride!

Hope some of that waffle helps mate,
  • qwerty1982 wrote:
    Hope some of that waffle helps mate,

Thanks mate, thats a great help. I love flapjack so cant wait to try making some for my rides. I'll let ya know how I get on and how much mess I can generate whilst making them :twisted: LOL I'll also try some Torq drinks too :wink:

cheers again :D
  • Made some flapjacks this afternoon, and I have to say they are bloomin delicious. Now, could you please tell me how to save some for a ride lol I cant stop eating it hahaha....

Cheers again mate :wink:
  • qwerty1982 wrote:
    NP mate, glad could help.

I havent been riding long, but I have been using lucozade powder to make drinks for my rides. When I first started out I didnt like drinking or anything whilst riding, and would have about 250ml over a 20 miles ride, needless to say it wasn't long before i made myself ill lol (always learn the hard way)

I did the 57 mile Great North bike ride a few weeks ago. I tried my first gel then (Lucozade sports gel) it was foul and made me feel sick for the following 6 miles lol. I taking with me Lucozade tablets/sweets and Lucozade Jellybeans with me sometimes, also sometimes I take cereal bars oh and bananas. Never leave home without my chewing gum lol. I usually have most the food I take with me left at the end of a ride and rely mainly on my drinks. Maybe thats my problem??? Worry incase I eat lots then need to hunt for loo haha

You gonna share ya recipe for flapjacks?? *wink wink* lol

ditch the chewing gum. chewing gum makes you feel hungrier than you really are as with the constant chewing your stomach thinks food is on the way.
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • ditch the chewing gum. chewing gum makes you feel hungrier than you really are as with the constant chewing your stomach thinks food is on the way.

really?? I never knew that... Will have to try without it.
    Cheers for that mate ;)
  • ditch the chewing gum. chewing gum makes you feel hungrier than you really are as with the constant chewing your stomach thinks food is on the way.

really?? I never knew that... Will have to try without it.
    Cheers for that mate ;)

+1 forgot to mention that last time!!
    Stop eating it, wrap it and store it some where!!
  • qwerty1982 wrote:
    +1 forgot to mention that last time!!
    Stop eating it, wrap it and store it some where!!

Most survived, and is stored in air tight container, in the fridge ;)
    cheers again mate
  • An alternative to branded/packaged recovery drink for post ride is:

1 x banana
    75ml apple juice
    "handful" red fruits (blueberries, raspberry's, strawberries etc)

Chuck in the blender and zap for a minute or so.

Simple to make, so I tend to have one as soon as I get home froma ride.

If you use the frozen red fruits the drink is self cooling!

Recipe taken from the Time Crunched Cyclist training book...

I also add some glutamine powder to the smoothie, as an attempt at enhancing its recovery properties :)

Neil
  • DubaiNeil wrote:
    An alternative to branded/packaged recovery drink for post ride is:

1 x banana
    75ml apple juice
    "handful" red fruits (blueberries, raspberry's, strawberries etc)

Chuck in the blender and zap for a minute or so.

Simple to make, so I tend to have one as soon as I get home froma ride.

If you use the frozen red fruits the drink is self cooling!

Recipe taken from the Time Crunched Cyclist training book...

I also add some glutamine powder to the smoothie, as an attempt at enhancing its recovery properties :)

Neil

cheers for that Neil, I love making my own stuff, so will defo give this one a try. ;)
  • Also if you remove the skin of the banana and freeze that, makes it even thicker like adding icecream would to a milk shake. I do make mine from time to time but being a bloke normally run out of the ingrediants so go with the powder option!!