I'm a newby!! I need to purchase a bike, hope you can help.

Mickyboro
Mickyboro Posts: 8
edited September 2010 in Road beginners
Hi everyone,

I am looking at buying my first bike and it seems there is quite alot to choose from. I know that price is going to play a huge part in what I get however, can anyone advise what to really look for when purchasing a bike, I am looking at doing a Triathlon in a year and am just starting my training as I'm a big lad at the moment, (6ft and 15 stone).

A lad that just done my garden is into riding and was going on about getting his bike setup etc. To be honest he blew me away, I though you just bought what you could afford....

Hoping for some friendly advice.

Cheers

Mick

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    setting a budget would be a good start.....
  • sorry, about 750-1000 :oops:
  • dmch2
    dmch2 Posts: 731
    General advice seems to be that you need to be looking at more than £500-600 if you want a new bike. If you can't afford that then buy second hand (which isn't to rule out spending more on a second hand bike but most people like the idea of a brand new shiny bike if they can!)

This thread was how I decided to buy my 2010 Trek 1.5 (last few left at the discounted price at Evans) http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12726255 but that may not be the budget you're looking at.
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
    2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Depends if you want to focus on Tri, in which case a tri bike might be the best option, or you want something of jack of all trades.

If you want a jack of all trades, anything up to £1000 from any of the major players would be much of a muchness, just buy the one you like the look of and fits you best.
  • dmch2
    If you're quick and not too fussy you should be able to get a 2010 bike in a sale. Could save you a big chunk (£150 in my case)
  • Well to be honest a jack of all trades would probably be a good option as I aint going to be "heavy" into tri. Got few pals that go on rides every weekend so would also use it for weekend rinding too.

Sorry if I sound really dumb but its been a long long time since I been on a bike, really looking forward to it and its a huge wad of money to be paying out so I want to make the best decision possible.
  • So is there no major setting up to do before riding the bike or is it just seat post, handbars etc.?

DONT LAUGH!! :D
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Trek 1.5, Spesh Allez, Bianchi, Felt, Scott, Canondale, the list is endless.
  • micky, i'm about 5 weeks ahead of you, having also spent about a grand on a new bike.

you need a bike that fits you, and a decent cycle shop will guide you re this.

when i sit on the seat & have my hands on the "hoods" (brakes / gear covers), i can't see the front wheel hub / quick-release at the bottom of the front fork as its hidden by the handlebar.

I can stand over the bike & lift both wheels up about an inch off the ground before the top-tube hits my spuds.

I also bought a decent saddle, as bikes are built to a price & what they come with can be a bit rubbish. your backside will ache for a while, but that changes after say 4 or 5 rides & after that, all is well.

I've only done about 250 miles on mine, but have burned through over 17k calories & my heart rate is lowering & my average speeds are increasing.

It is a bit addictive.

Oh, and you lose weight & feel much better too :D

Bought mine from Evans. I had a Bianchi initially, but had a few issues & returned it & got a BMC Streetfire instead. Shimano 105 throughout & a really nice bike (by my noob standards). Evans may not have a good name in some circles, but the 28 day no-quibble return policy takes a lot of beating.

Now's a great time to pick up a bargain.
  • dmch2
    All good points in the last post. Sounds like I'm behind JK but ahead of you (I've had 3 rides on mine).

I've been scribbling down my thoughts after the first few rides and on how I chose my bike on my blog http://hooperdave.wordpress.com/category/cycling/ so you may find that some use. There's also some notes on what I had to do to set the bike up after I got it from Evans (tighten up a few things, grease a few others and watch a basic setup youtube video)
  • What do you all reckon to the boardman bikes?

Team carbon is on offer at £999
  • dmch2
    They're cheap for the kit they have because of the huge purchasing power that Halfords have. On average Halfords staff are less good than other shops. But some Halfords people are good and some other bike shop people are bad.

I guess it depends how much guidance you want the shop to give you. Evans gave me more guidance than I'd imagine Halfords would give and had a better range of things like shoes and other kit. But the person who built my bike at Evans wasn't great and they weren't very good at letting me know when it was ready...

Best advice seems to be that you buy the bike you like best as that'll make you ride it more!
  • Yeah, 1000's of bikes that look ace but like I said its all about getting it setup properly. I reckon I will try spend a reasonable amount and not go over the top. Then maybe upgrade later on.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Mickyboro wrote:
    Yeah, 1000's of bikes that look ace but like I said its all about getting it setup properly. I reckon I will try spend a reasonable amount and not go over the top. Then maybe upgrade later on.

Might be cheaper to pay once but make sure that everything is just right for you first time around.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    The Boardman is a bargain.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Mickyboro wrote:
    What do you all reckon to the boardman bikes?

Team carbon is on offer at £999

Boardman is a great bike for the money. Any set-up issues, just take it to your LBS (local bike shop) for tweaking. Assuming you'll use them for servicing etc they should be happy to help.
    The Focus Cayo 105 mentioned above has a good name. Also have a look at Ribble.
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • Boardman bikes are awesome, where are you located in the uk??
  • Another +1 for the Boardman. I've had mine since December and love it. It's just been reduced from £1,199 to £999 (it's price for most of this year) as next years stock are due in soon. It's well equipped, SRAM Rival, which is easy to use, and the finishing kit (stem, bars, wheels etc) are of a good enough quality that you shouldn't need to change anything until it wears out, or you just WANT to change it. The only thing I've changed is the saddle.

To help you with sizing, should you choose a Boardman, I'm 6'4 and also 15st and I got an XL, so would suspect you'd need a L.

If you're anywhere near Maidstone, Kent - go see Rich in there, really good.
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team
  • The Boardman Team Carbon is a great bike I got mine in July 2010 500 miles on it, I have not had any problems with mine it is a joy to ride, fast and light and it just flys up the hills. :)
  • Thanks fellas.

Had a look at the TREK 1.5 Triple last night, nice looking bike.

The cannondale CAAD (I think) looked nice too.

Is there anything that I should really be looking for over other things.

e.g. carbon/aluminium
    shimano gearing etc.

Sorry to sound terribly useless but I am brand new
    and out the bag!
  • dmch2
    I looked at the CAAD 8 tiagra as well against the Trek 1.5. It was £20 more, didn't have pannier mounts and I didn't like the colour so much but otherwise was basically the same. YMMV though :)