Training for cycling but no bike

JesseD
JesseD Posts: 1,961
edited September 2010 in Training, fitness and health
I got knocked off on Sunday and the bike is going to be write off, thing is it's my only bike so I need to figure out what to do to keep my fitness until the insurance pays out (which probably will take ages).

I am injured at the moment but when back to full health what should I be doing?
Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!

Comments

• Get loaner from a mate perhaps, and get on the turbo as soon as injuries permit for some easy sessions, gradually build up your effort over time until you are OK to ride outside again.

Read up on all the cool new bikes you can buy!
  • JesseD
    Final point is already underway :-)

I don't have a turbo only rollers, I was thinking that core work some strength work fir my legs and also running might help, if for no other reason apart from weight management as I lose weight quickly when I run (I just hate it)
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    Ask around, place an ad in a local paper perhaps, there are thousands of bikes all lonely and unused. A asked for a spare bike to loan at my local club last year and was spoilt for choice in the end
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    I've been laid up recently with a knee injury - I spent my time out training in the swimming pool, find your local swimming club and get some coaching in. You'll be looking at very little outlay but a phenomenal cardio workout without adding impact risk like with running.
  • JesseD
    My injury is in my shoulder, torn muscles in back and the ones around the rotator cuff and tricep.

I used to coach swimming and swim a lot myself so have broad shoulders an back so am trying to lose bulk and fear swimming will counteract this.

God I hope I get a new bike and recover soon, it's only been 3 days and I am climbing the walls already and I reckon putting on weight quickly too.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    I have just been away for a couple of weeks without the bike & I went running everyday. Boring, but meant I could eat & drink!
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Before I cycled I used to indoor row on a Concept 2 rower. Fantastic excercise, especially for the cardio vascular system. When I took up cycling I found I had an excellent starting base with reasonably strong legs and good heart and lungs!

If you have a gym with a Concept 2 (they cost over a grand to buy) give it a try. With correct technique (all available on their website) it is no impact and pretty safe.

Enjoy.

PP
  • step machines (the ones that are like a revolving stair case - dont know what their proper name is) are good for cardio plus seem to help out with hill climbing ability too.
  • Before I cycled I used to indoor row on a Concept 2 rower. Fantastic excercise, especially for the cardio vascular system. When I took up cycling I found I had an excellent starting base with reasonably strong legs and good heart and lungs!

If you have a gym with a Concept 2 (they cost over a grand to buy) give it a try. With correct technique (all available on their website) it is no impact and pretty safe.

Rowers can be good cardiovascular if you get into it, I think it's also got a reputation for being one of the "easy" ways to exercise in a club, I don't say that to disparage rowing, like biking, I think it's easy to sit back sometimes.

What I like about Concept 2 as well is there are actual contests about how far one rows and things like that, you can log it into their website and there are records about it.
  • step machines (the ones that are like a revolving stair case - dont know what their proper name is) are good for cardio plus seem to help out with hill climbing ability too.

Totally agree, are they called "Stair Steppers" "Stair Masters" and all kinds of words like that? Stair Steppers, set at a good level and doesn't have to be even that high, less than level 10 can have you breaking a good sweat in just 20 minutes plus you can set your level, if it gets too high, lower it down. In fact, if you go at a low level for a period of time, there is no reason to be embarrassed.

Not only do I see as the poster says "Revolving Stair Case" but the same company has that machine where you are stepping stairs on pedals, how can I describe it, but more like on pedals like here... for some reason I like this style more and I do perceive it as being somewhat easier than the real escalator type of staircase but who knows?

http://www.getsomefitness.net/wp-conten ... tepper.jpg

Also, just place enough weight on your arms to keep your balance, you are not suppose to rely on them or you minimise some of the benefits.

I usually am not in this area of discussion but I bonked big time in my recovery from a big Sunday ride and was doing some research.

It seems any of these machines can be of aid, ellipticals, etc. There is even some sort of machine in some clubs now that probably mimics the motions of ice skating some at least in a basic hands behind your back push. That machine is rather difficult too.