when to lube new chain/cassette ?

allen
allen Posts: 214
edited September 2010 in Road beginners
Just had my chain and cassette replaced at LBS and forgot to ask when should i lube it. Has something on it at the moment and looks lovely . Any advice ?

Comments

• Wait til it starts showing signs of getting dirty or after a wet ride. The factory lubricants that chains come with are very good so you don't want to be taking that off too soon - I assume that's what's on it unless the LBS has done the lube job themselves.

A nice looking chain is great, but I've recently had a really irritating squeak from the drive gear. Thought it was the jockey wheels so I took them off & regreased them but no joy. Chain was well lubricated with dry lube and looked really clean.

After numerous rides it drove me batty so I degreased the chain, dried then applied wet lube. Squeaking disappeared. Chain doesn't look as clean but seems to run much better and very quiet.

1967 Engine
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    Leave it as long as you can trouble is at this time of year as soon as it gets a good soaking you'll need to start lubing it.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Whatever lube you decide on - just use it - use it on a regular basis.
    There is no bad lube to put on a chain. It's all good, as long as it's LUBE.
    It's not possible to over-lube a chain. Once a week should be fine.
    Lube it up good, let it soak in a bit, wipe off the excess, ride.
  • Gonna open a whole can of worms here... so many different views on how often and how to lube a chain.
    Me personally will give it a wipe after most rides and re lube as needed. Then once every 2 months or more if been a wet and muddy month i remove the chain, plop it in a old fabric softner bottle with some white spirt, give it a good shake, drain, wash with water, keep repeating until no more gunk comes out, then give good dry, hang in garage to dry complety, then re-lube. Has worked fine for a very long time.

But there will be plenty of people who disagree with my method and say im mad!! There opinion i 'spose!... we i am a bit mad!! :shock:
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    ^ I do the same but in a bottle of diesel. You can reduce drying time by drying it under the grill. Don't let your girlfriend find out.