How was your Isle of Man End2End 2010?

John Moore
John Moore Posts: 580
edited September 2010 in XC and Enduro
So, who went over to the Isle of Man for this years End2End?

A great event, with a bit of a mix up at the end for some slower riders and a very rough crossing home yesterday afternoon.

I beat last years time and position so I'm very happy.

Comments

• I loved it and will defiantly be doing it again next year.

I'd originally set myself a target of between 4 to 5 hours, but had underestimated how difficult it would be and finished in 5 hours 25 minutes. Still very pleased with the time for my first event and will be better prepared next time. Don't think it helped that I fell off twice in the mud and then my quick release on the front wheel came lose on one of the wood sections and for some reason it took me ages to get it back on tight.

The support along the route was fantastic and really gave me a lift.

The ferry home on the other hand was a nightmare. Took us ages to get home.

Just got to start preparing for the Dark Peak challenge on the 9th October now. :D
  • Well done on the result John, and congrats on a strong finish in your first event theMagician.

Bit of a ballache that some loser changed the direction arrows around up at Eairy Beg. Still could've been worse if the outriders hadn't spotted it.

I'll make sure I register in time next year though :roll:

Registration opens 11th Feb for 2011, dates will be different though as the usual E2E weekend clashes with commonwealth youth games.
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Hmmmmm i'm liking the sound of this for 2011. Thanks for the write up lads.
  • I also underestimated how difficult it would be, only started riding november my mistake was not getting out for regular long rides !! but i was estatic to finish as quite a few didn't a very slow 6hrs 41 minutes :roll:

just like to say the atmosphere and support from other riders at the back was great!!! come on ladies be good to see even more next year!!!!!!
  • This year I came in 41st where as last year I was 76th, my best time was this years 3hrs 38mins.

If I do it next year (and it's a big if) I'll do it on a "very different" bike and start at the back working my way through the pack. For the last 2 years I've not really joined in any of the banter or even taking in any of the views. I'll make sure I do in the future and I may even take a few pictures on route as well.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    I also underestimated how difficult it would be, only started riding november my mistake was not getting out for regular long rides !! but i was estatic to finish as quite a few didn't a very slow 6hrs 41 minutes :roll:

just like to say the atmosphere and support from other riders at the back was great!!! come on ladies be good to see even more next year!!!!!!

You must have been just ahead of me (no866), I finished in 6:46 although I didn't treat it as a race. If it wasn't for stopping 3 times I reckon I would have been closer to 5:46.

We did have problems with transport both at the beginning and at the end, I think this was due to a number of entrants using transport they hadn't paid for. I think it would be a good idea next year to issue tickets to riders who have paid for transport.

Transport issues aside, I had a great time, the weather on the day was great and the support from riders/spectators was fantastic.

Also a big thanks to the cadets and marshals who did a great job. I will definitely be back next year.

Thanks to all concerned.
  • I was rider 1293, on a green/white ghost in a saddle skedaddle top last one home out of the 11 ! A few riders stick in my mind particularly the guys with the red socks that waited for their buddy in the fields of Surby he had hit his wall big style!!

I got to the third chechpoint and wanted to cry but as only 7 miles to go i kept going.......saved crying for the end where my 11 year old son run up the finishline with me :D His dad who finished in 4 1/2 hours said he didn't run up with me........ :roll:
  • First time for me and my fellow sad lads (Red Socks), the majority of us only took this MTB thing up in Feb this year. 16 of us in the team and 13 completed
    Mad Dickie (Our Sgt Major) was quickest in just over 4 Hours
    I got round in 6.43, not too bad for 1st attempt and 54years young
    Could have gone quicker, but 5 of us decided to stay together to drag each other round and Steve hit the wall just as we got to the 2nd checkpoint. We were determined to get him home in the alloted time and that we achieved crossing the line in the same time. We reckon we could have knocked an hour off if we hadn'y stopped as much.
    Well organised ride, but shambles at the end with no transport back.
    Thank god it wasn't raining, think there would have been a riot.
    They need to get this sorted next time and issue tickets to those that paid for the transport
    We cycled down to the village pub to organise transport back and Mad Dickie rode the 15 miles back to Douglas.
    The Sad Lads will return next year, possibly dressed in Pink...........................
  • cool sad lads :D

Being local myself I found it was a shame about the transport issues for you guys but I know they will want to improve it for next year, it didn't happen the year before!!! Hope it doesn't put you guys off :roll:

will look out for pink socks next year might be with you guys again as planning at least to break 6 hours :D
  • Got round in 4hrs 36mins, 10 mins slower than last years sun scorcher. Well pleased cos I finished in 239 place, better than last years 253 and I started near the back this time.
    Enjoyed going from bunch to bunch and riding a short time with the bloke on a road bike doing the E2E via the roads.
    Definitely doing it next year again and will prob start at the back again, more fun :D

Well done to all who rode and to all the marshalls and orgainisers.
    'Collapse the Light into Earth'