electronics gears on 2011 bikes

brucebanner
brucebanner Posts: 256
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
Which 2011 bikes will come with shimano di2 or any other electronic gears.

Does anyone know if Focus are releasing a 2011 ver. of the bike that came with di2 last year?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Heh heh, can't believe you've still not bought a bike! :o

FWIW, Di2 prices don't seem to be reducing...
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    The Eddy Merkx bikes top end bikes come with Di2. You might be able to get a Trek through project one with Di2 as well, not sure on that.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Have Project One got better at their sprays ? Ive only heard bad stories about them,
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    cougie wrote:
    Have Project One got better at their sprays ? Ive only heard bad stories about them,
    They shouldn't be doing it if they can't do it properly imo ....
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Supposedly they've sorted the quality control out now but now sure if any Project One custom paint frames have shipped yet so a bit early to say.

There's quite a few high end bikes with Di2 options, the new Orbea Orca looks especially nice, it costs a small fortune though.
  • I like the idea of the D12 kit but what would put me off is if it were to fail or malfunction ? As mechanical kit is well mechanical and can be fixed fairly easily but what if the D12 was to go tits up ? would it not cost a fair bit to get it sorted or replaced (if it were out of warranty?)
  • 1_reaper wrote:
    I like the idea of the D12 kit but what would put me off is if it were to fail or malfunction ? As mechanical kit is well mechanical and can be fixed fairly easily but what if the D12 was to go tits up ? would it not cost a fair bit to get it sorted or replaced (if it were out of warranty?)

what percentage of the pro riders use electronic gears? i've noticed a lot use sram. i might as well just get that.
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Heh heh, can't believe you've still not bought a bike! :o

FWIW, Di2 prices don't seem to be reducing...

£2+k on a bike is a fairly large figure. i'm going to research as much as i can before i spend that type of money.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    But Di2 is about 2 grand on it's own!!

Pros ride what the sponsors pay them to ride...
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    pros are so good that they can ride anything, and still fly.

Interestingly, some do pick their own gear (e.g. Lance does like his shimano pedals, and wears non marked shoes that are not Nike!).

You can rersearch all you like, but as Nap said, £2k isn't much when you are talking bikes, and you would struggle to get full Force and a decent frame for that (never mind red, dura ace etc).
  • The problem with the P1 last year was that they massively underestimated demand as it was offered on both the 5 & 6 series and so a big delay built up - which consequently resulted in pissed off purchasers (and possibly poor rushed paint jobs). The second problem was some of the designs were a bit too ambitious and could not be readily reproduced. Interesting to note that this year they are doing P1 for the 6 series only.

My 5 series took about 6 months :( - but paint job when it finally arrived was perfect (although plain blue is probably hard to f*ck up). my only complaint is that it chips too easily.

Returning vaguely back to topic - when do people think that Di2 technology will filter down to becoming more affordable/ viable - say Ultegra pricing? Assuming that this technology is the way forward and not a passing fad.
  • you'd struggle to get the latest cable driven dura ace on a decent frame for 2k let alone di2!
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • Looking at £4000 for complete bike then? And willing to spend that much? Is it worth it, after all is your career, are you a pro cyclist?
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)