Boardman Team Carbon Back To £999.99 - Ideal For Beginners!

tjshill82
tjshill82 Posts: 54
edited November 2010 in Road beginners
This is a excellent bike for the money and has come down in price from £1199.99 to £999.99 today.

Some other Boardmans have had price reductions also - see Halfords/Boardman website for details.

Comments

• 2011 Boardmans due in November. Co-incidence? I think not.
  • I wanted the Pro Carbon (Force) to be reduced but no such luck :(
  • The 2011 boardman range will not be released until January 2011!!
  • Yes it has been put back a little bit damit
  • It has been indeed, guessing your might work for halfords??
  • Yes, am knocking about on the Team Alloy at the mo but really would like the Pro Carbon but doubt the will be much (if any) price activity on that model according to info I got today
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Kidge004 wrote:
    The 2011 boardman range will not be released until January 2011!!
    How ridiculous is that!
  • It's not the best, I'm not sure what the hold up is :!:
  • Can see you get the same info as me!? Where abouts are you located? I was going to get team carbon but have gone for a cinelli dinamo instead?!
  • Cinelli Bikes are sweet. I am based in Chester
  • The pro carbon is awesome, had one of them in a few months back, had a cheeky test ride n it was amazing.
  • dooks
    dooks Posts: 11
    very interested in getting a team carbon,
    is there any spec changes to the 2011 model that anyone is aware of?
  • I do not have any spec details, prices have appeared on the system and thats it. I would imagine they will be having quite a big revamp because they have quite a long life cycle but that is just me guessing...
  • I have a team carbon. It's a really nice bike.
    Had it just over a year now, no major problems during that time, needs a service now though as front gearing is giving a little chain rub in high gears , i think the cables have stretched a little!

well worth the money!
  • £1000 for a beginneer road bike? rofl.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)

Exactly! My 1st road bike was a £500 Ribble and I thought that was a bit extravagant! Must admit I rapidly graduated to a Caad9 and then on to a Cannondale Six. Wouldn't consider it a beginners bike though.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I was a road beginner when I bought mine.

I had been cycling off road for years so maybe I don't count as a newby.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    £1000 for a beginneer road bike? rofl.

Kick off with this -> :) - to make clear I'm not having a big pop at this, just a gentle chiding...

So you have to buy two bikes then, a £500 or less "beginners" bike, then you have to go and buy the bike you wanted in the first place but someone on a web forum dissuaded you from spending that much. How cost effective is that?

I'd no sooner buy a cheap HD tv to see if I liked it before buying a proper one, or buy a rusty old Citreon AX for the wife to see if she wants a new car.

And again. :)
  • CiB wrote:
    £1000 for a beginneer road bike? rofl.

Kick off with this -> :) - to make clear I'm not having a big pop at this, just a gentle chiding...

So you have to buy two bikes then, a £500 or less "beginners" bike, then you have to go and buy the bike you wanted in the first place but someone on a web forum dissuaded you from spending that much. How cost effective is that?

I'd no sooner buy a cheap HD tv to see if I liked it before buying a proper one, or buy a rusty old Citreon AX for the wife to see if she wants a new car.

And again. :)

To be fair I've ended up spending more in the long run and if I'd have known how much I would love road cycling, I would've just gone straight for the Six. Still sounds funny calling a £1000 bike a beginners bike. It may be suitable for beginners but it's not a beginners bike.

I think its sensible to buy the best you can afford and if it doesn't work out you can always sell it.
  • I'd no sooner buy a cheap HD tv to see if I liked it before buying a proper one, or buy a rusty old Citreon AX for the wife to see if she wants a new car.

Technology progresses, so buying a £10,000 high end TV 8 years ago will be superseded in picture quality by a newer "good" TV @ £2000.

For most people, even £1000 for a push bike is a lot of money, and would get the "are you mad, a grand for bike?" reply. £250 is expensive, to them.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    My friends would certainly not ask if I was mad. They were only be interested in the technology I got for my money and why I chose it.

In my experience, there is no such thing as 'most people'.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    in my experience all non cyclists have a sharp intake of breath at the mention of a £1k bike. if you know you are hooked get something decent, but its hard too know if your new to the sport. but a £500 pound bike will perform very well for the casual leisure rider. i still enjoy riding my first £220 road bike when the weathers grey.
  • In my experience, there is no such thing as 'most people'.

in my experience, yes there are. Biking, computing, tv/home cinema etc etc...try and explain that a £1000 speaker is better than a £200 home theatre in a box, and just get blank expression
    My sentiments precisley...
    Carrera Vanquish....
  • Well it works out around £600ish on the cycle to work scheme so that is worth bearing in mind. I never had a road bike until I got one of the first Teams which I purchased through the scheme. Have had a few bikes since and still rate it very highly.
  • They really start to think you're mad when you've just got the bike and you tell them it doesn't come with pedals!!!

I really wanted the carbon bike last year, but couldn't bring myself to spend £1000 on a beginners bike. I bought the Alu Team for £600 second hand - just had a brand new FP2 delivered this week...... :lol:

You cannot resist.......it's inevitable......just do it.........
  • yeah. £100 for a set of pedals? You're mad you can buy a very nice full suspension bike for that!

And yup someone who is "into bikes" said a 1 tonne £100 full suspension is a great bike. I'm not into MTB but I know how much a good full suspension bike costs. Unless you don't mind weighing as much as a Antonov.
  • its easy to say now we're keen cyclists that we should've bought the bike we wanted at the start but if we didn't take to cycling it would've been a waste of money. It also depends on the money we have at our disposal. If like i thought when i first started £500 was a lot of money for a bike, £1000 is inconceivable. It comes down to how much money you have and are willing to spend at the start
    Riding a Merida FLX Carbon Team D Ultralite Nano from Mike at Ace Ultra Cycles, Wednesfield, Wolverhampton 01902 725444
  • yeah it's the same for Hi-Fi/Home Cinema, my first Hi-Fi/Home is not what I have now, it was far cheaper. Upgraded or replaced over the years. I would NEVER have thought back then what I would have now. And of course prices have gone down, a 50" plasma TV when I started Home Cinema was £30,000. Slightly out of my budget. But now, well under £2000
  • its funny how everyone seems to have forgot that this bike was £999 only a few months ago, so this is no bargain, its just the normal price. halfords do this all the time and im suprised you guys fall for it!