New to Riding and looking for some helpful advice

Liam 2010
Liam 2010 Posts: 101
edited September 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi guys, I'm 19 and I'm finally able to take up cycling, mountain biking to be pricise, after recently recovering from an illness.

I know a few bits and bobs about biking, but nothing on the technical side of things and was looking for some advice on which bike would be better suited for my riding needs.

I will be going off road a lot, but also on the road a bit. The surfaces and terrain I will be encountering won't be too hardcore though. Anywhere from light to moderate, so it will need to be able to take a bit of stick.

The bikes I am torn between buying at the moment are both Boardman hardtail MTB's...one is the sport, and the other is the comp.

Apart from the price difference of 150 quid, what are the main differences between these two bikes, and which one would be best suited to a beginner, but a serious beginner who intends to ride a lot and in varierty of weather and terrain conditons?

Also, I intend to buy the bike from Halfords in Leicester. Abbey Lane to be precise, I've heard some good reports about halfords, but also some horror stories about the staff there not having the the first clue about bikes.

Would it be wiser to be the bike at halfords and have it built at another shope instead?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Liam

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Some Halfords are fine, try and get some info off fellow riders and customers if you can.

I do think the Comp is worth the extra - the fork is much better. Air sprung, stiffer steering, lighter. Plus some other parts. If you can afford it and you like the fit, go for it.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    If you're dead set on a boardman halfords will build it for you but if you think it's flaky after then pay your LBS to give it the once over

I have heard good things about the boardman HT but I think the last group test it was in it got beaten by a voodoo, KHS are also supposed to have some good bikes in that range.

spec wise boardmans are generally pretty good

from a quick scan the key differences are that the comp has better forks, brakes and drive train

if it were me and the choice was down to just those two I'd go for the comp on the strength of the forks and brakes alone

remember to budget for a helmet, gloves, shorts etc
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    recently took up biking myself a couple of months back light to moderate xc, some road and very occasionally trails, however 19 is a distant memory for me :D

got a real entry level gt outpost hard tail

tbh these bikes with all the kit on are for peeps who really know how to ride, going to be digging deeper into my pockets next year should i reach the "omg my bike is holding back" stage.

not much help but welcome to the forums anyway :P
  • Thanks for the tips & advice guys. I think I will probably stretch the budget out and go with the comp instead.

I won't be doing that many trails, just more long distance riding over rough to mderate terrain.

Thanks for the help,

Liam