Cannondale Bad Boy gearing upgrade

SLX01
SLX01 Posts: 338
edited September 2010 in The workshop
I have a Bad Boy triple ring 48t with a deore long rear cage and MTB cassette. I rarely use any gears other than the front big ring and usually ride on the smaller rear cogs. I was thinking of changing the rear for a road cassette with a shorter cage to make the bike more road friendly. Would I notice any benefits or just leave it as it is?

Comments

• If you change to a road cassette, you'll probably find that you're in the 'right' gear more often (ie. not too high/too low) as the space between cogs is smaller so you may find things are more efficient. I wouldn't rush to change the mech as too big a cage isn't really a problem unless you're trying to save grams.

I've got a road cassette on my shopper as the MTB cassette that came on it meant I had a bottom gear that I could ride up a wall on.

Andy
  • SLX01
    If you change to a road cassette, you'll probably find that you're in the 'right' gear more often (ie. not too high/too low) as the space between cogs is smaller so you may find things are more efficient. I wouldn't rush to change the mech as too big a cage isn't really a problem unless you're trying to save grams.

I've got a road cassette on my shopper as the MTB cassette that came on it meant I had a bottom gear that I could ride up a wall on.

Andy

Thanks that was my thinking! The only reason I was thinking of changing the mech is the chain seems to flap about a bit when on the smaller rear cogs as there is so much 'spare' chain and thought a shorter chain/mech would cure this.
  • thebig25
    thebig25 Posts: 46
    I've just done this on my Hybrid. Went from 11-34 to 11-27 and changed the rear mech too.

It's much better- as the poster above says, finding the right gear seems easier, and there are no big gaps in the range.
  • Take a few links out of your chain? Just watch out for when you're in big at the front and big at the back (not that you should use that combo anyway) :D
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • SLX01
    Just like to say thanks for the advice ended up buying a cs-hg50-9 11-25 and it is brilliant much easier to keep the power on and changing is much slicker....cheers.