cheapskate DIY bodge.

biff55
biff55 Posts: 1,404
edited September 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
can you use an old chain to make a chainwhip to remove my cassette without spending money on a proper one or waiting for the LBS to do it ?
if so how do i make one ?
cheers.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yes. Take a look at chainwhip pictures on CRC, or park tools, or whatever to get an idea of the shape.
    Then use some bent nails to nail your chain to a piece of wood, and hey presto, ghetto chainwhip.
    I used one like that for years, although I made mine with those handy "U" shaped nails used for fencing.
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    As Yeehaamcgee says - piece of wood or metal, put an old bit of chain on it. Simple.
  • Although I have a chain whip, I've often simply wrapped an old towel (they gravitate to the garage) around the cassette, and it's been enough to hang onto while loosening the lock ring.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • Make sure you use a decent bit of wood. I made one but the wood was crappy kept cracking and eventually when i had run out of places to put nails I bought the real thing from superstar. It still worked though, until it cracked. but certainly doable
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    cheers men.
    yeah going from 8 to 9 speed so dont mind wrecking the old parts.
  • Vice and a chain
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    I made one out of an old chain, and welded it to a piece of 19mm box section.

Now for the clever bit, the box section was about 18 inches long, so the box section can push against the floor, leaving both hands free !