can I was my kit at 60 deg?

Team Banana Spokesman
edited September 2010 in Road beginners
oil stains arent coming out. :(

there is a setting on my washing machine '60 degrees. intensive stains'.

but the kit label says 30 or 40 degrees maximum.

wha will happen if I use this setting?

Comments

• Don't do it. They'll almost certainly deform or shrink. My dear wife washed my Altura shorts at above the recommended and although the shell was OK, the padding was destroyed.

Buy a recognised stain remover from your local supermarket that's recommended for man made fibres. I managed to remove chilli oil from a white cotton shirt with one of these so they do work.

Rob

2007 Price Street Speed
    2011 Trek Madone 4.7
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    +1 for the supermarket

on hols in portugal there was an unfortunate conjunction of white lycra and dirty chain oil

i got some "blancotex" oil/grease remover in the supermarket, from the few words i could decipher it was safe, biodegradeable, had no nasty solvents

in the past i've tried cleaning solvents, they weren't effective and made a visible change to the lycra

from translation on google, it seemed to be just a strong detergent, pour onto stain, leave 15 mins, rinse, grease gone

worked so well i brought it home with me, it's come in hand a few tmes since

heat+stains is generally a bad idea
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    Oil stains?

Work some swarfega into the stain, then hand wash out.

MAGIC.

Got my white jersey covered in black grease the other week, and the swarfega took it out easy as pie.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    To be honest - always the best policy - I just put on an extended wash and rinse after coming back from a ride where I had a jammed chain and white gear.

White is white again.
  • I use an aerosol of brake cleaner to blast out oil stains. Its usually on my normal clothes while I am maintaining my bike.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    sungod wrote:
    +1 for the supermarket

on hols in portugal there was an unfortunate conjunction of white lycra and dirty chain oil

i got some "blancotex" oil/grease remover in the supermarket, from the few words i could decipher it was safe, biodegradeable, had no nasty solvents

in the past i've tried cleaning solvents, they weren't effective and made a visible change to the lycra

from translation on google, it seemed to be just a strong detergent, pour onto stain, leave 15 mins, rinse, grease gone

worked so well i brought it home with me, it's come in hand a few tmes since

heat+stains is generally a bad idea

Why....? WHYYY!?!?!?!? :P :P
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • you want some cillit bang :wink:
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)