Is the Ribble Sportive better than the Gran Fondo?

UPGRAYEDD
UPGRAYEDD Posts: 117
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
If I were to be sucked in by Ribble, which of the above is better?

And where does the Nero RC fit in?

Thoughts please, ladies and gentlemen.
"A gentleman who goes by the name Upgrayedd. Which he spells thusly, with two D's, as he says, "for a double dose of this pimping."

Comments

• UPGRAYEDD
    UPGRAYEDD Posts: 117
    *BUMP*
    "A gentleman who goes by the name Upgrayedd. Which he spells thusly, with two D's, as he says, "for a double dose of this pimping."
  • I've got a Gran Fondo, and Love it - Ultegra - Kysrium Elites.
    I haven't ridden a Sportive but I think they are probably as good. The lad at Ribble said there is little to choose between them - The Fondo is slightly stifffer but very slightly heavier apparently.
    Good Luck - GP
  • Guinea Pig wrote:
    I've got a Gran Fondo, and Love it - Ultegra - Kysrium Elites.
    I haven't ridden a Sportive but I think they are probably as good. The lad at Ribble said there is little to choose between them - The Fondo is slightly stifffer but very slightly heavier apparently.
    Good Luck - GP

+1
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Boardman CX Team
    Trek 8000
    Sirrus framed 'special'

Prev: Avanti Corsa, Routens, MBK TT, homemade TT bike, Trek 990, Vitus 979 x 2, Peugeot Roubaix & er..Raleigh Arena!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Geometry is different so which is better depends on what geometry you want. I'd rather less stiff and lighter but the GF fits and the Sportive Racing doesn't! (The latter is more Racing than Sportive!)
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Geometry is different so which is better depends on what geometry you want. I'd rather less stiff and lighter but the GF fits and the Sportive Racing doesn't! (The latter is more Racing than Sportive!)
    Good point - but I don't find the GF harsh, it feels quite stiff in the rear triange and there isn't much flex in the bottom bracket area. For the money a great bike - Hassle buying though! But that's anthother story
  • Been asking myself the same question for a while to Upgrayedd. From what I gather I pretty much agree with what has been said above (i.e. theres not much between them!).

When choosing between the Sportive and GF I reckon your priority list should probably be:
    1-Geometry/fit
    2-Weight
    3- Colour scheme

However, like you, I still wonder where the Nero fits into this... Is it meant to be a slightly more aggressive race orientated bike?