Rant @ Guildford Drivers

dancook
dancook Posts: 279
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 9,,0,32.83

This bend, the right hands side is labelled as A322, the next one in is A322/Station

So when I'm in the right A322 lane, I move into the second from right as I go round the bend here...

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 7,,0,32.93

Many people cut me up moving across the lanes from the A322/STN to the A322 lane.

This is particularly frustrating when I'm on my bicycle....

Do I just put up with it, or is it worth complaining to the council?

Comments

• robz400
    robz400 Posts: 160
    I often cycle up there and never had any problems.

Put yourself right in the middle of the lane, be very assertive and aim to keep up with the traffic, it never gets above 25mph so should be fine
  • Peyote
    Peyote Posts: 2,189
    One of the local Highways Engineers described Guildford as "a nice town ruined by traffic". Couldn't agree more.

Although, threading through the staionary traffic on Ladymead in rush hour is quite satisfying.
  • dancook
    robz400 wrote:
    I often cycle up there and never had any problems.

Put yourself right in the middle of the lane, be very assertive and aim to keep up with the traffic, it never gets above 25mph so should be fine

I'm in the middle of the right A322 lane, I try to hold the line around the corner - but I often find the driver in the lane to the left of me cuts the corner. I do keep up with traffic, they just veer towards me, so I often have to brake to pull behind them as they are now in my lane!

What really took the biscuit is the last time someone did this, as they straightened up they moved back into the A322/STN lane after cutting me up.

When I'm in the car I tend to accelerate faster to prevent anyone from doing this.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    It constantly amazes and infuriates me how many drivers are unable to keep to a lane when going round bends or roundabouts, they just aim at where they want to end up :roll:
  • djrock
    djrock Posts: 66
    alfablue wrote:
    It constantly amazes and infuriates me how many drivers are unable to keep to a lane when going round bends or roundabouts, they just aim at where they want to end up :roll:
    Same here. I see it happen most days.
    dancook wrote:
    When I'm in the car I tend to accelerate faster to prevent anyone from doing this.
    Dancook I would be very careful in doing that. You could end up being hit and if you don’t have witnesses the other drivers insurance will say it’s 50/50.

I had someone cut across and hit my car on a bit of a bend with two lanes. Never figured out if they decide to changed lane on the bend or just cut across. Oblivious to me sounding the horn before impact. :shock:

What I like to do and do it all the time on this wide road with a cycle lane is to position my car as to stop the minority of idiot car drivers using the cycle lane to get to the front to turn left. :twisted:
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    It happens to me in the car round there. It just happens, and I'd expect it if I were you. I doubt there's much to be done, as it's not a trivial re-design.

Yeah, it bugs me too...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • dancook
    Surrey Highways got back to me.

Thank you for your email. I have now investigated your concerns and visited the site. I agree with you that there are some drivers, which do not adhere to the rules, and this would continue regardless of any changes introduced. I looked at your suggestion and found that such a marking may cause uncertainty when traffic trying to merge and possible congestion as a result of reduced rate of discharge. I do understand that this is not what you were looking for, however, I am going to monitored this to see if any other options are available and also raise this with surrey police who may be consider taking action against dangerous driving if deemed to be necessary. I should add that there has already been a study carried out for the gyratory system with a view of major changes 3/4 years ago, but regrettably due to lack of funding it has not been able to progress.