South Downs Way - Both ways, 14th September, 3/4 day trip

wolfsbane2k
wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
edited September 2010 in MTB rides
Hi,

Just joined the forum despite being a bit of a lurker... 8)

I've have for the last 2 years promised myself that I would cycle the SDW , and it's finally come to the time where i have some holiday left and haven't done enough cycling this year, since the L2B was more of a walk...

So, i'm going to do it starting circa 0900 Tuesday 14th Sept, from Winchester, heading to Eastbourne, then turning around and cycling back. I'm "reasonably" fit - ie i cycle 7/8 miles each way a day to work, do ~20miles every other saturday and have done some 30+ mile charity rides, all off-road. Going both ways to save having to get someone to give me a lift back or rely on public transport...

Is there anyone out there that would be interested in coming along? It's purely for the challenge of 200 MTB miles in 3 days,not a race etc. Going to B&B it...

Cheers!

W
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

Comments

• mounty
    mounty Posts: 682
    I might be interested, as I wanted to do C2C this September, but I cant find anyone to do the trip with.

I just wanted to do a big ride/trip, but I would much prefer to undertake something like this with another rider, both from a fun/safety point of view.

I'm based in Bewdley, Worcestershire, so about 130 miles or so from Winchester.
  • wolfsbane2k
    Mounty, your more than welcome. This will be my first long distance ride, so i'm elsewhere on the forums checking what I need to take with me, I've got a Kona Hoss Hardtal, probably going to be on semi knobbles rather than full MTB/ CycloCross tyres...

Safety is my main concern for wanting a second person, but the catch 22 is not being able to cycle at completely my own speed/leisure.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • mounty
    This would be my first multi day trip. I have a stumpy HT which I think would be better than a FS.

What items are being suggested for kit, besides the usual tools, tubes etc ?
  • wolfsbane2k
    Waterproofs!

I'm going to be packing a pump, multitool, chain connector spares, tubes, tube repair, and a first aid pack. Awaiting response from others...
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    Missed the main thing......

food,food,food and more food.

Semi knobblies is a good call.
    Paul
  • mounty
    Wanted to wait and make sure.....I cant get Wednesday 15th off from work, a bit annoyed! :-(
  • Sorry to hear that :(
  • Jeez. WHen I first read the OP I took it as three quarters of a day :shock:

Good to see 3-4 days programme. Having done SDW earlier in the year all I cal say is good luck. It's a big ride one way so both is pretty darn epic.

Can't over emphasis taking on regular food and liquids. Even when you don't think you need them, take 'em. Bonking (not that kind) is not an option out on the Downs, the other type is however... :lol:

Good luck.
    Beep Beep Richie.

FCN +7 (Hanzo Fixed. Simple - for the commute)
    FCN +10 (Loud and proud PA)
  • agree, it's a pretty tough route. we did one way in 3 days carrying 8kg of camping each. reckon it's do-able in 2 days for your averagely fit mountian biking carrying little kit.

Plan your B+B stops carefully or you could easily be adding on an extra 200m of climbing coming on and off the ridge
  • mounty
    So how did the SDW trip go then ? :D