Cove Hustler XC build....

tjdixon911
tjdixon911 Posts: 110
edited September 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Right this weekend will see the end of my Auction for the above bike, if it doesn't sell which I doubt it will as I seem to have no interest then I'm going to build it, I want to keep my Stiffee as a Hard Tail, strong, chuckable bike and want to focus the Hustler more on XC hopefully have it built in time for the local winter series....

I'm not technically minded so my question is how do I build it into a quick (with a decent rider!) XC bike;

My thoughts are;

Suspension reduce travel, I was previously running 140mm Forks, I was thinking 120mm or should I go less?
Gearing / Drive - Look at XT level spec, seem to be able to pick this up reasonably (plus I have some bits laying around)
Stem / Bars - Should this be Longer and Flatter?
Wheels - I was hoping to have them interchangable with my other bike initially to save costs then upgrade/change at a later date. Brakes etc will have to be compatible.

Think that covers the main elements, peoples advice would be appreciated. Also recomendations on parts that are reasonably priced would be helpful.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I've now built 4 bikes from bare frames for various purposes, in each case I didn't plan a build so much as look out for what suited and trying to get it at the right price, it can be half the fun, but it takes longer!

Sometimes I got better parts than 'anticipated' sometimes not as good, but I know where the weak areas are and can fix them as and when.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'd go for a SID 120mm withh a 15mm through axle, Hope Hoops on Crest rims, SRAM X.9 2x10 transmission, 90-100mm stem (ish), with a low-rise bar of your choice, Ritchey WCS, Easton EA70 or Bontrager Race Lite.

That'll give you a decent, reasonably light XC build, not silly money and still pretty tough.