Vacansoleil / GC guy

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited September 2010 in Pro race
Morning fans,

So, Vacansoleil have said they've signed a GC guy recently but not announced who it is yet. A "big" signing is what Hoogerland said.

The management have also confirmed it. I can't think of anyone out of contract who's a proper GC guy? Can anyone else?

Or have they just decided to hire The Chicken and be done with it?
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Is it Ricco ?

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • iainf72
    No, this is post Ricco.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Is Nibali onboard with Liquigas for 2011? A Dutch connection with Gesink? Mick The Dodger Rogers?
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    It's Lance, innit?

Though Cippo hasn't come out of retirement for a good 3 weeks now, so who knows.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Would Rogers count at a GC contender - I suppose if the team were trying to talk themselves up maybe.

Liquigas did seem to have a lot of possible GC riders this season - did Pellizotti ever get suspended in the end or is he free to race next year ?

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,070
    Kloden.
  • Kléber
    Leipheimer
  • iainf72
    andyp wrote:
    Kloden.

A dutch team hiring a high profile German? Would that happen?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,070
    Kloden is the antithesis of high profile.
  • Yesterday's men anyway - in comparison with Ricco who they already have none of them would constitute a big signing.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249
    iainf72 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    Kloden.

If they can hire Belgians they can hire Germans.

Nick Nuyens to Rabo anyone?*

* Or even Devolder to Vancon :P
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Kléber wrote:
    Leipheimer
    +1 possibly

But imagine Ricco and The Chicken on the same team, a UCI dream come true.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    Kloden.

Why not?

I'm hoping it's someone like Klöden, a GC rider who can really finish high in a 3 week race, instead of someone like Gerdemann/Löfkvist (who perform better in shorter stage races).

It would make sense too, from the company's point of view. Vacansoleil is active in nearly all countries in western Europe and has riders from most of those countries except for Germany.
  • How old will Kloden be next year - 35, 36 ? I don't know - I just can't see another rider describing him as a GC contender for 2011 or beyond.

• Kléber
    andyp wrote:
    Kloden.
    I wouldn't. He rode like a bag of spanners and only seems to work when Freiburg Uni or Bruyneel's box of tricks was on hand. Unless Vacansoleil can land a mythical preparatore then Klodi's best days are well behind him.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    There's no indication it's a GC rider at all - just a 'very big new rider', that will get them into the GTs (so no chicken ;) ). This is, as far as I can see, the original source: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/5649/ ... z0zPlDUiJn

If considering some hype/PR-spin, that can be anyone
  • Kléber
    Spartacus... either that or Christian Prudhomme, their only chance of a ride in the Tour.
  • iainf72
    Daan Luijckx (who wouldn't tell JH who it was) has said it's someone who can top 3 in Grand Tours....
  • My concern is whether VS have the funds available to pay all these new riders...
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Kléber
    They are heavily involved in the sport, they sponsored Paris-Nice and also are the "title" sponsor of the UCI mountain bike series.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Daan Luijckx (who wouldn't tell JH who it was) has said it's someone who can top 3 in Grand Tours....

It's not Wiggins, then.... :lol:
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Kim Kirchen? :roll:
    Scarponi?

Mosquera hasn't resigned with Xacobeo yet
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    Tom Danielson.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    I'm looking forward to finding out who, coz for me they have been a favourite team this year. yes i know they have ridden for invites, but their attacking has ignited races, often making the actual race. They've done it once again in the TOB, which i would also like to add has had a fantastic route this year. Every stage has had tough profiles, which in past years has not been the case. Well done Graham Jones!
  • Chris Horner.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249
    David Arroyo?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Alistair Brownlee's younger brother.
  • Kléber
    The bloke who played the saxophone solo on Baker Street?
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    In case they're reading this thread and are struggling money wise......I'd like to make them aware of my availability.....Climbing is my strength-I overtook 5 old people and a small child up Gunn Hill on Sunday :D Wages negotiable :P