Best chain lube

metmanmark
metmanmark Posts: 28
edited September 2010 in The workshop
About to get my new bike through the cycle scheme. I have Rock N Roll lube on the chain of my hybrid for the last few years as it was recommended by colleagues at work. I have never been totally convinced by it though (I should say that this has lasted yonks and I have never tried anything else).
What would you recommend? I do 22 miles a day along country roads to work so it will get dusty & wet rather than muddy.
Cheers
Mark

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I use Progold Prolink, it is very clean (for a wet lube) and will resist washing off for a few wet rides.
  • To be honest use any any oil, i use motorbike oil put on with a paper towel anything else is just expensive rubbish
    We are an online travel agency.

Specialized Sirrus (converting to road bars) - Honda Fireblade.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    they're all the same then . . .
  • alfablue wrote:
    they're all the same then . . .

Perhaps they are! I was about to recommend Finish Line wet lube, as I get about 5000miles out of a chain in all-weather riding using this. Then I remembered that back in the eighties everybody seemed to use ordinary 3-In-1, and both my 1980s bikes are still using original chains and gears.
  • Cheap Lube, apply often and wipe off excess. We're talking commuting bikes here.
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • I'm currently trying out finish line dry lube on recommendation from a friend. Think you have to reapply it often, everytime it rains in fact, but keeps the drivetrain free of grinding paste. Is dry lube in bad weather a bad idea? It says on the back of the bottle "use for all parts and it all conditions!" Maybe they just want me to get through a lot of the stuff...
  • Also, do you reckon there is less need for lubrication on fixed and SS, when compared to derailuer gears because the chain doesn't have to twist and change cogs etc?
  • Geared bikes' chains always wear out faster :D

No reason to not take care of your SS's chain though.
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • alfablue wrote:
    I use Progold Prolink, it is very clean (for a wet lube) and will resist washing off for a few wet rides.

I use this as well - apart from it being a fine lube (I find it very good) the key point that sets it apart eg from motorcycle oil or similar is that it is washable.

This makes a huge difference if you have to keep your bike in the house (and was a large factor in my being allowed to do so!)
  • alomac
    alomac Posts: 189
    Has anyone tried one of the Pedro's lubes? I was thinking of getting some because that's what my LBS stocks, but it's partially vegetable-based and I've heard that vegetable-based oils tend to gum up...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Veg oils usually gum up at high temperatures (car engines etc) not sure it gums that much cold, having said that additives can prevent it anyway and a little 'gooeyness' is not necesarily a bad thing?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.