Workstand

storck
storck Posts: 64
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi looking to get workstand can anyone point me in right direction as seems to be massive price difference with some,just looking for good simple stand to do basic stuff on,many thanks.

Comments

• To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • Sirius631,

I jsut got a new oversized carbon frame and my current stand wont fit it. So a new stand is on the list.

How's the clamp? Is it suitably padded to avoid scratches and cracked frameS?

And how secure is it? no chance of topple is therE?

Much obliged,

Si
  • munzy
    munzy Posts: 111
    Best to clamp bike by seatpost regardless of material is what I was told.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I bought that Ribble stand last week.

I was amazed by the quality for the price. It was so much better than I was expecting and I am really pleased with it.

My wife refused to believe I only paid £56 for it, even after I showed her the web page. She reckoned I had bought one far superior to the one I was showing her.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Although the legs need a bit of mass loading may pack them with packets of lead or sand.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Union-Bicycle-Rep ... 1e5e3f39a2
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • Cheers all for opinions,my concern is as allready saidin a reply prefer bike to be clamped by seatpost only ,many thanks all.
  • SteK
    SteK Posts: 148
    Slightly different angle - My old man's got one of these - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=5209 - I've built all my bikes on it and it's fantastic. Because you've got 4 feet on the floor you don't get that shake of the stand when you're pedaling to adjust gears etc. You can flip the bike around too so even though you can only have one wheel in at once you can still work on both. No need to hold/squash/grip/scratch any tube/post.

The seat where the bottom bracket rests is adjustable so it'll hold any bike, regardless of wheelbase etc. The tool tray is really useful as well.

When I can afford a place with floorspace larger than a stamp I'll be investing...
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Sirius631 wrote:

I'll cast my vote for the one Sirius631 has, or pretty much any of the stands like it(of which there are many). For home repairs these things work just fine.
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    +1 but as posted be careful with the clamp, it took some lacquer off the top tube on my previous bike,now i wrap top tube with a soft cloth 1st before clamping. manufacturer advises to use an old seat post if you are clamping it this way, bit of a faff on but better than unknowingly cracking existing post (if carbon) - i still prefer top tube method tho.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    It purely depends on how much you're going to be working on your bikes, if you're a minor 'fettler' then a stand like the Biketool one as already suggested will be just the job; but if you work on your bikes a lot doing major work ie bb adjustment/changing etc, then something like the Tacx Team Spider is necessary to support that area of the bike.
  • dennisn
    brin wrote:
    +1 but as posted be careful with the clamp, it took some lacquer off the top tube on my previous bike,now i wrap top tube with a soft cloth 1st before clamping. manufacturer advises to use an old seat post if you are clamping it this way, bit of a faff on but better than unknowingly cracking existing post (if carbon) - i still prefer top tube method tho.

+1 on the soft cloth at the clamp. Works just fine.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    brin wrote:

I clamp to the top tube when I think it is safe to do so, such as for lubing, indexing etc but then I don't have a carbon frame.

I have a (recommended) entry level stand off Wiggle. It's ok for what I use it for but the weakness of the cheaper stands is around the clamping mechanism. The clamp simply isn't strong to hold the bike by the seatpost without it hanging at an odd angle, which leaves me wondering how much strain is it then putting on the seatpost and the tube.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • dennisn
    Carl_P wrote:
    brin wrote:

The clamp simply isn't strong to hold the bike by the seatpost without it hanging at an odd angle, which leaves me wondering how much strain is it then putting on the seatpost and the tube.

I would play devils sdvocate and ask "If you have that little faith in your frame when it's simply hanging from a workstand, how can you have enough faith in it to actually ride?"
    Where does all this carbon frame paranoia come from?